PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've been wanting a plug cutter for the longest time and had been eyeing the antique ones on eBay, even though I knew there was no way I had the smarts to get a 100-year old blade sharpened. Then, years ago, as I recall, Daniel at Synjeco had some modern, new ones on his website, but they were very expensive and I wasn't even sure he was selling them, as opposed to just showing them off. More recently, lurking on this forum, I saw someone suggesting a biltong (i.e., South African meat jerky) cutter and I went looking for them on Amazon. There, I ran into a Chinese made manual meat cutter that advertised that it could slice ginseng. If you know ginseng, it's a woody root and would be quite tough to cut, so I figure if it can cut ginseng, it should be able to slice a plug. And so it can. I'm quite pleased with it and like that it has a back stop (lacking in the biltong cutters I found) that keeps the plug in place during slicing. Here are some pics of it and a couple of resultant slices of RB Plug. I don't know if I'm allowed to link to the Amazon page but the brand is Baoshishan and it comes with an extra blade, which is single bevelled. I don't know how durable it is, so caveat emptor (I like to slice as needed and prefer to store my plugs whole). It is somewhat rough on the edges and can use a go go-over with a deburrer in some spots, but the blade handle mechanism seems fairly robust and feels solid in the hand. Now, I need to pick up some more RB and Cannon Plugs as I'm very low on my supplies.4614

Last edited:

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Nice!!! If you could change the flake width for thinner flakes, than it's EPIC!

Jun 9, 2018
England
That cutter looks like it'd be perfect for rock hard plugs like Warrior/PPP.
I use a mini Kuhn Ricon cleaver which as long as I sharpen it before each use it does the trick ok.
Nowhere near as nice as a purpose built plug cutter though, hopefully at some point in the future I'll be able to get one as a fair percentage of what I smoke is made up of Samuel Gawith plugs.

Chris.

Reactions: artvandelay007
Status
Not open for further replies.