PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Recently I was asked to participate in an interview for an online radio broadcast. It was to take place last week. Five minutes prior to the live event, which was being videoed as well, I signed on as the host/producer asked me to. He wanted to be sure the audio, and the video was working properly. And to basically cover what questions he was going to ask me.
For 2 months he advertised that I would be interviewed at such and such a day and time. He wanted to be sure everything was going to go well. As he began to prep me for the show he then abruptly asked me if I would set aside my pipe during the interview. I told him no I would not, and asked him why he wanted me to hide my pipe. He told me that he did not believe it would be proper for the show.
Now mind you. This industry is approximately 97% men vs. women. The average age is approx 45. The industry is outdoors related, and has many smokers of both cigarettes and cigars.
He told me. “This is a new generation of people and their ideas about smoking are different than what your generation believed.” I asked him if he had ever heard of Mark Twain, Albert Einstein, President Gerald Ford, JRR Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Sir Winston Churchill, and a few others. He told me it made no difference and would I please not show my pipe during the interview. I politely answered. “Then this interview will not take place. Have a good day.”
He could not believe that I backed out just minutes before the show was to begin. He stuttered and mumbled some words, trying to explain that this interview would help me so much. When in fact he was the one counting on the interview. I didn’t need the interview. He had been looking forward to it for two months, because he knew this interview would increase his subscription rate to his show, and satisfy his advertisers. Now that opportunity for him was gone. He was now forced to stumble through a 1 ½ hour show without a planned script, no guest, and an off the cuff format which he was not comfortable with.
Honestly, I don’t need them.
And yesterday I had a two hour Skype casting interview for a new TV series. The casting director told me the pipe was "AWESOME" and not a problem.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Amen to that, Brother!!!!! Good for you all the way around!

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Awesome!! What's the new series about?
Right now it's being keep under wraps until cast members have been chosen, contracts signed, etc. I will keep those interested updated.
The casting went well. But 2 hours of meaningless, repetitive questions was about all I could take. I've been interviewed in the past for a few series, but this one was a bit over the top.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Good man, and you know what? I'm 30 years old, I enjoy my pipes immensely, and have found several in my area that are mid 20's to 30's, so the whole line about the generation thing is a load of BS. There is a huge uptick in younger pipe smokers in at least the northwest. Stick to your ideals, and don't back down, and don't change or apologize for being you.

And yes, some casting producers go over board, if they are asking repeat questions it's because they are trying to get smaller sound bites or a rephrase. I work in development for several networks and if a person I'm casting is a no-nonsense type, I usually just tell them what I'm looking for in a repeat so we are done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.