PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterkrey

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Hey everyone. My name is Krey. I'm relatively new to smoking pipes. I started just a few months ago but have smoked probably around 100 times. My pipe has cracks around the hole. I don't know what this means, if it's a burnout starting or what. Please help!!! All help is very much appreciated

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Krey, welcome to the forum!! I think you'll find a lot of help here, once folks can diagnose your problem from photos.
Here are the instructions on posting pics: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/instructions-for-posting-pictures
Can't wait to try and help.
-- Pat

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
You might be smoking too hot, but it also seems like the pipe may have a weak spot due to the grain.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You might be smoking too hot, but it also seems like the pipe may have a weak spot due to the grain.
+1 That's what I thought too.
What's the pipe made of Krey?
-- Pat

misterkrey

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
So should I not puff so often? I'm still kind of new so I don't know all of the lingo yet. Is there any way to repair it and will it affect anything besides probably getting another pipe soon?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You might consider smoking more slowly.
Does it get really hot while you smoke? Too hot to hold?
-- Pat

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
It looks like it should still work fine since its around the draft hole; you may end up sucking more bits of baccy through if it's a filterless pipe. You only need to worry about replacing if cracks appear within the bowl itself.I was taught that it should only smoulder in the bowl; i.e. smoke should only appear when you take in a draw. That helps me slow down and keep it cool.

misterkrey

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Yes. Sometimes it feels like it's burning my hand. I was wondering if I was smoking it too fast but I wasn't sure if it was just because it was the wood just getting warmer and warmer over time

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
That looks like a softer wood judging from the grain, I don't think it's your technique, I would get a briar instead.

misterkrey

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Thank you guys so much! I was getting worried earlier because I was afraid I had done something wrong and ruined it. Also I have one more question. Based on the pictures does it look like I have a good cake going or when I use the tool am I scraping too hard?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, the crack is running with the grain, at chamber base, near the draft hole. I'd agree you're smoking too hot. Also, ash wood pipes will not perform as well as briar. I'd recommend investing in a briar pipe. It'll enhance your smoking experience. You could try to repair this one using pipe mud, but I'd just get another pipe. Cob pipes are great too.

misterkrey

Lurker
Apr 25, 2013
Ha thank you guys. I noticed that the site was in the background as I was uploading it :lol:

I was planning on getting a briar pipe but I didn't want to spend the extra money because it's my first pipe and I wanted to make sure I enjoyed it as much as cigars before I spent the money. But I do love it. It's my go to relaxation thing

Status
Not open for further replies.