PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015

Apparantly it has 'wellent' stamped on it. That is all I know but I may be able to buy it for very little.
So please feel free to take an accurate and or edcated guess. My first thoughts were 'it looks kinda like a Peterson'.
Many thanks,
Samon

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks for the input so far guys! :)
I have just bought it for £12 delivered with the Sheffield made tool and little baccy pouch. I'll do some google-fu to find out about the brand and see if I can identify the model. When it arrives I'll report further!
I'm guessing I got a good buy?

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
What is the general opinion ofthese pipes? Good smokers,, well made, valuable/collectable etc ?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Cheap Peterson knockoff with a faux p lip bit.
It may smoke well for you, in which case it is priceless and monetary value means nothing.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
If it is a WDC from the early 20th century , it will be more than just a Peterson counterfeit. WDC was considered worthy of making BBB pipes for the US market. In that era BBB was at or near the top of the English heap, so WDC's selection by BBB really says something about WDC quality.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Cheap Peterson knockoff with a faux p lip bit
That's a little harsh............

I have several old Wellies and they smoke great. I have several old Pete's that smoke like shit..........

I personally don't care for the P-Lip stem, but many do like them. I'd say you got a deal for 12 pounds shipped, I think the Sheffield tool is worth that alone.

Welcome to the forums by the way, hope you stick around and tell us how she smokes!!........... :puffy:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I like Wellingtons so much I have at least four of them so I always have one in the rotation. They come in jumbo, medium and small sizes. I believe they were produced until fairly recently. (1980s?) They older ones seems to be of better briar quality. they maybe a copy of the Peterson system pipes, but the Wellingtons themselves were also copied. You can find Italian made "Wellpipes" on eBay from time to time.
Wellington trio:
wellington%20trio_zps6r5vkvly.jpg

A "Wellpipe":
well%20pipe_zpspxrsv7di.jpg

Another jumbo Wellington:
wellington_zpsdb3432c0.jpg

You can probably tell I'm a fan :)
Yello Bole Chesterfields are another variant worth seeking out.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
WDC was in business well before Peterson made their "system" pipes. I can't prove it, but it's certainly possible that Wellington pipes were around before the system Petes.

If you look through Civil War photos, you will see what looks like the occasional well pipe. Are they Wellingtons? WDC or KB&B pipes? I don't know. But they are almost certainly American pipes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If you look through Civil War photos, you will see what looks like the occasional well pipe. Are they Wellingtons? WDC or KB&B pipes? I don't know. But they are almost certainly American pipes.
8O I'd be grateful if you could link/point to one of these. I've seen plenty of clays, meerschaums and German-style pipes, but never a photo of a modern-style pipe.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This looks like a prototypical modern pipe from the civil war era, though not so much a Wellington.
civil%20war%20pipe_zps3r2comir.png

A google image search does show a lot of Alpine looking bowl shapes and a lot of clay pipes.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, tuold. That's amazing. Do you think that's briar? As far as I know, the briar pipe dates to no later than the 1850s, so it's certainly possible. Thanks, again, for posting that.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Pitchfork, take a look through the Civil War section of photos at http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/46 There are a lot of them.
There are all manner of pipes to be seen. Even meerschaums I think.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Anyone got tips for cleaning the 'system'? Should arrive soon.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Peterson patented the system pipe in 1890. The plip in 1898. By 1922 both patents had expired. If anyone can show my a Wellington or WDC pipe from pre 1890 with the same system and faux plip look I will withdraw my comment. It may very well smoke wonderfully. Doesn't change what it is.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Right, the update now it has arrived!
It is in fact a 'Wellent', not 'Wellington'.. still no idea about that name, never heard of it and cnnot find anything about it.

Real briar though, apparantly, so can't be too bad..?

Probably smoked once imo, if that.
The stem has seam marks from casting and feels cheap.

It doesn't appear to have the Peterson 'system' either, just a straight through and through. Clean though and the wood is solid, not able to finger nail dent it.

Neither does it have the smoke hole on the upper of the mouth piece, just the standard.

The leather baccy pouch is alright, 'Made in England' and with a latex feeling inner. And the pipe tool is made by 'Richards, Sheffield England'. The tools are a bit loose due to slack spring tension but I have a lot of experience with knife and tool making and restoration so I might be able to fix that.
So!.. What's the damn verdict? lol, I'm scrathing my fat bald head here.
Thanks in advance gent's!

Status
Not open for further replies.