PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

coreycoogan

Lurker
Oct 3, 2016
Hello, I'm desperate for help. Last night I foolishly put my vintage calabash gourd pipe in my coat pocket until I could put it away. I bent over to grab something and the stem snapped clean off. It's a clean break and looks like it could be glued, but I'm not sure if that's advisable.

Does anyone out there know if vulcanite be glued back together? If so, what should I use for the glue that won't cause any health concerns?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A new stem might be needed, since glue might separate again and cause the same problem. I think a repairman (or woman) would be a good idea. I don't think it would be pricey, maybe a little more if it needs threading, but moderate. Big, long pipes have the disadvantage of providing leverage when stowed in a pocket so they're easy to break. Short pipes with thicks stems and shanks do pretty well, but it is still best to use only breast or upper inside jacket pockets. Thinner pipes are almost certain to snap.

Reactions: anotherbob

coreycoogan

Lurker
Oct 3, 2016
Thank you both for the advice. I may need the help of a pro, so I will reach out and see what they have to say.

Much appreciated.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thank you both for the advice. I may need the help of a pro, so I will reach out and see what they have to say.

Much appreciated.
I'm positive You will get that issue sorted out, and at the same time we shall remain at your disposable should further advice or guidance is needed, stem related problems are not rare here I'd say it is opposite, those are most commonplace issues one sees here

Reactions: anotherbob

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A picture is always helpful. Post a pic if you can...you might get more responses.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
If you have local shop they could either cut it back or replace tenon.

I’m fortunate that Rich Lewis’ shop is a couple miles up the road from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.