PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Actually, Latakia is very low in nicotine content as are most Oriental leaves. Burley and Virginia tobaccos contain the most nicotine. And a fun fact that Russ Ouellette surprised me with a few years ago; nicotine is not found in the tobacco leaves, but rather the stems and veins.
Agree about Latakia and other Oriental leafs being low Nic.
Aside, I’ve heard many older pipemen talk about how the stems from Latakia are the most flavourful, especially Syrian.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never reacted in a big way to Latakia. I like Nightcap, but maybe not the Lat especially. Fifty percent sounds like a hefty proportion, and in some blends that would make it the base. Lat and Perique have been somewhat go-to condiments, and to my taste overused, though I like them both. A lot of Latakia can be good, but only as good as the complexity and balance of the blend. It's not pixie dust, and it doesn't make everything good, to me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Never experienced that. Though the closest was this custom blend a friend of mine got with the whole instructions where as much latakia as it can take and then whatever won't get in the way of the latakia. It was nice not really my taste but somehow I am one of the few people open about my middling reaction to latakia, I like it but don't freak out for it.
Edit: I forgot one thing I have noticed is more middle amounts of latakia are my favorite. It seems to allow for the most complex blending versus a lot of latakia which will dominate the blend or a light amount where you can easily overwhelm the latakia.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
enjoy latakia. never been bombed by one. pirate kake is on rotation right now, and i don't think lat's overpowering. on the other hand, depends on the day, perique in elizabethan mixture can make me feel like i had a spoonful of fresh ground black pepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.