PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Blue Room Briars has a bunch of Savinelli estates in your price range or even a little less. Mkelaw-Pipes also has two Savinelli estates in that range.
Both places have been great to work with in my experience.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Here's one I have been eyeing up...
004-006-23342.2200.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a Rossi identical to what you posted, except it's a lighter brown. It's by far my favorite pipe. Other than the terrible coating they put on the outside of the bowl that bubbled off from the heat. But they needed to cover the fills somehow I suppose.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
It's interesting you said this @didmauw ... in the end, I went with this Rossi. My reasons were simple... I find with my cobs that I am still more consistent at getting a good pack with smaller bowls. Don't know why, but until I develop my skill a bit more, that's my instinct. Also, I did not want to spend much more than $50 on my first briar. I will invariably make some mistakes and I'll feel bad about it, so when I have experience with briars, I will splurge on some really nice briars. That said, this first briar I hope, will be in my rotation for a very long time... it might become a hunting or fishing pipe. :)
002-577-5471.3996.jpg

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
@all - A huge shout out for all the awesome advice from all of you in the pipes magazine community. This is one of the first of a number of briars I am sure I am going to buy. Savinelli, Stanwell, Nording, etc. will surely be considerations for building up for a rotation.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Congrats on the pipe! Hopefully the first of many, but I'm sure this one will be a good workhorse that you will have for many years.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Congrats on the pipe. That's the Rossi I have, but in a Bent Bulldog shape. It comes with 6mm filters and adapter, but I just smoke it sans filters or adapter and love its smoking qualities. Very light pipe as well. I think it will serve you well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations. Take good care of that pipe. It could well last a lifetime. I still have the first pipe I bought forty some years ago, a Tinderbox St. Ives house pipe, probably made by Chacom. Still looks good and smoke well. It's a bent pot smooth finish with a vertical saddle stem. I have two Rossi's bought in the last five or six years, good pipes, a prince and a yacht.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That's a nice looking pipe. Congrats.
All of my Savinelli, Stanwell and Rossi pipes do their job well.
I'd agree with all the above except Shiny Pipes. That seller is known to misrepresent things.
I also have a Savinelli 111KS and it is a smoking machine!
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I also have a Savinelli 111KS and it is a smoking machine!
Couldn't agree more with Jay, here. My 111KS Impero smooth is one of the best values in pipes I've found. Beautiful straight grain, nice thick walls, generous chamber, perfect draw, and an absolute workhorse that is ridiculously easy to clean. Great pipe.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
That Rossi looks like a solid pipe. Good choice.
When I started to build a rotation of pipes, my first two estate purchases were a waste of money.

Now I will only buy lightly smoked estates, that have been professionally cleaned, from reputable dealers.
I've now got some excellent smokers. Brands such as George Jensen, Dr Plumb, Lindstrom, Lorenzo, just to name a few, most of which cost $35usd or less. [Two new Lorenzo VIP Plateaux's for $15 each are my best wins to date]
The 'trick' to winning bargains on ebay, is to put a low high bid on as many pipes that catch your eye. Sooner or later you'll snag a bargain.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
I would say start with a Dr Grabo they are bot that expencive and sterdy enoughfor a beginner. Just remember if you go new dont scrape yout bowl to get some cake build up on the bowl, just run a pipe clean through tit to keep the shank and stem clear.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I have smoked five bowls so far, breaking it in with CH. I am really pleased with it. Seems to draw well and is light. Currently rotating it with the two cobs that I started smoking with. Life is good!

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
Comoy "Pot" for everyday smoking. Nothing fancy. Just a smooth, straight stem. Easy to light and keep lit. Better to purchase from a reputable dealer. Stay away from ebay unless you are knowledgeable or feel lucky.

Reactions: docrameous
Status
Not open for further replies.