Pirate Kake: cob or briar?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

diamondback

Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Is it just me, or is Pirate Kake most tasty from a cob? Seems my briars mute this blend a bit. I always prefer any burley from a cob pipe, but I love Lats from a briar. I’ve gone back and forth for a while, but I think I’ve safely settled on a cob.
I know it’s all highly subjective, but I’m curious to get everyone’s input :)

diamondback

Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I need to break down and buy a Meer (a real one, not a MM - which I adore, don’t get me wrong. I’ve an army of MM cobs). I’ll admit my TAD is driving the show for me as I’m cellaring like a man possessed! Let’s hope the FDA comes to their senses and leaves our beloved pipe tobaccos alone. And while I’m on a rant, my wife needs to come to her senses and realize how disasterous it will be if I’m unable to buy post 2/2007 blends. Rock and a hard place, always. lol I’m very blessed though, all things considered :)
Anyway, thanks for the responses thus far!
Crossing my fingers, but so far everyone here seems pretty cool :)

rdavid

Preferred Member
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
OK. Here goes. Tried all three, half bowls, 30 minute break in between.
MM Cob: As usual, excellent. Everything was there just like it's supposed to be.
Briar: Never would have thought of this, but yes, the flavor was slightly muted. I understand exactly what your talking about and would not have noticed had I not tried this comparison. Definitely not bad... just different.
Meer: Also tasted good but a little too sterile if you will? I do enjoy smoking the meer but usually to try new blends I've just bought to get the pure tobacco experience.
Overall, I believe I liked the briar the best as it seemed to take a little bit of the edge off. I have a tendency to over-puff lat forward blends as I really like the flavors. Like trying to eat pizza really slow... aint going to happen!
Anyway, thanks for the challenge as I kinda forgot about Pirate Kake lately and really enjoyed getting re-acquainted. FWIW.

diamondback

Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I actually just bought my first 2oz tin of Black Frigate a couple weeks ago. I’ve yet to try it.
Panhandler, you’ve pretty much dictated my smoking schedule tomorrow: Black Frigate and Haunted Bookshop/OJK mix :D

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
I actually just bought my first 2oz tin of Black Frigate a couple weeks ago. I’ve yet to try it.
Compared to PK's 70% latakia, BF barely has any at all. You'll mostly notice the Virginias and Orientals.

diamondback

Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thanks Embers! I’m looking forward to it.
I love all pipe tobacco families besides aromatics and plain straight blending baccys. Mostly Lats in cooler weather and burleys in warmer weather, Vas, Va/Pers (& cigars) in the summer.

chasingembers

Preferred Member
Nov 12, 2014
I enjoyed heavy Latakia blends for over a decade but have since suffered from latakia burn out as some do. They all taste exactly the same now. No seasonal choice here and I mainly smoke Virginia Oriental blends with the occasional burley.

rdavid

Preferred Member
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
latakia burn out
I definitely experience this if I'm hitting the latakias and balkans really hard. Actually kind of ruins it if I switch to, let's say a good Va or Va/Per. I'll even go as far as smoking an OTC, usually Carter Hall for a day or so to reset my tastebuds.
Unfortunately I wasn't aware of latakia burn-out when I started my cellar so a large percentage is latakia and balkan. Live and learn I guess.

diamondback

Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
I enjoyed heavy Latakia blends for over a decade but have since suffered from latakia burn out as some do. They all taste exactly the same now. No seasonal choice here and I mainly smoke Virginia Oriental blends with the occasional burley.
You reckon your palate will ‘reset’ if you take a year or so break from any blends with Latakia? I’d hate to find myself in that situation, so a big thank you for the heads-up!
I’d be very unhappy indeed if I encountered this with any blend component. Most especially Latakia. With that in mind, I should probably pull back on the HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rub. I know it doesn’t have Lat, but given your warning, the thought of burn-out with that particular blend is a risk I don’t want to run. It’s something I never even thought of so I’m glad you said something.

ashdigger

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2016
I burned out on latakia a few years ago after smoking heavy latakia based blends for a couple of years. I couldn't smoke anything latakia based for a while. Now I xan smoke light latakia blends with no effect, but the bombs only get occasional use and I haven't been able to smoke the whole bowl.