PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Glad to hear about new support and existing catalog holdings. Great news!
***I received a counteroffer from the seller***
$120 for Oppenheimer

$50 for Civic
I think we should offer $108 for Oppenheimer and $42 for Civic. What say the pool?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have no frame of reference for pricing.
Will you still take my money if I don't participate in the haggling?
-- Pat

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Pat, We'll always take your money! Do we have your approval for the counteroffers?

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Guys I have;

BBB English pipe book (same as the one on pipe pages)

Kaywoodie catalogue and dealer price list 1963 and a 1961 price list

kaywoodie pipe almanac leaflet and the leaflet from the box (same period)

A small Savinelli catalogue that probably isnt earlier than the 1980s

all of which I am happy to share

owen

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Owen, That is great! What you, Sable, Al, and Walt have to contribute gets us off to more than a great start.
I will contribute:
-Two Bertram brochures that are probably the closest that shop ever got to offering a catalog.

-I have an article about Bertram, but that would fall under the copyright exclusion.

-A Savinelli catalog of date unknown (at least to me)

-A Smoker's Haven brochure/catalog

-A collection of Kaywoodie ads, and other ephemera I can photograph

-A WDC metal sign I can photograph

-A 1970s (I think) Dunhill catalog
I am sure there are a few more things I can find.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I feel we need a few more OKs before I proceed with the counteroffers, so please pipe up!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll reiterate that I can contribute the 1926 Loewe Of The Haymarket catalog, and both 1962 Barling Catalogs. I also have some Barling brochures from the 1970's, a Barling price list that went with the 150th Anniversary Catalog, and a 1939 Wally Frank Pipe Smoker's Catalog. I'll start scanning these.

May 31, 2012
I don't really have much pipe stuff.
I got a GBD brochure from the 50's I think?

Anyone recognize this and can date it?

(sorry for the small pic)

QQmtA5G.png
Owl Shop tobacconist catalog (guess mid to late 60's) 2oz Balkan Sobranie = 85¢ if that helps date it?
Several Imperial Tobacco Co. booklets
Ogden's of Liverpool booklet
Recently acquired Sasieni flyer
1967 Peterson's of NYC tobacconist catalog

(seen here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/1967-petersons-ltd-tobacconist-catalog-a-few-select-pages
We certainly are off to a great start here with everyones pre-existing stuff!

:puffy:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
OK, so we have Walt's approval. I think Pat's message is approval. MLC, Sable, and I approve. I agree with Sable; $150 is our top. Is this enough to proceed? I don't mind leaving the seller hanging a bit longer, but I want a firm OK before too long.
The Loewe and Barling catalogs are serious heavy hitters, and MLC has more than a few great things. We are definitely off to a good start no matter how the buy goes.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
We do need to figure out a decision rule, and we cannot always wait for all pool members to trickle back to this thread for approval of each action. I want to make this democratic and inclusive, but we need to be able to act in a timely manner. Imagine some hot item shows up priced to sell. We will need to act in hours, not days.
I am happy to do both jobs. I am hoping distribution will largely be electronic, is that too much to hope?
For the current buy, I think we have the "right" approval. Namely, we have the four folks who pledged $100 to the pool plus one or two other members. The first offer was for a total of $138. If $12 more dollars spread over several individuals is too much, we will have to do some after action discussion.

May 31, 2012
I propose that Buroak handle distribution and handle the exchequer.
I concur.
Do we need a unanimous decision, or a majority?
I would say it depends on the "in" count and what the final cash tally equates to from the pockets of committed members - like if 9 total commit to the buy in, then that's like $17 each, which is very good.
And the details do definitely need ironing, especially in the future where we may not have the convenience of drawn-out deliberations...
...I think once we are all on the email list, things will start shaping up, and guidelines can be established for response times or whatever, along with much of the other involved minutia which will have to be addressed...
Who is the gang?
Although I prefer the Dead End Kids...
deadendkids_sml1.jpg

...Our Gang is more lovable!

:)

Annex%20-%20Our%20Gang_02.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.