PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

macysdad

Lurker
Sep 7, 2017
Ive been smoking cigars for years. Just getting in to pipes. I want a pipe for some nice tobacco. keep it classy. Am i the only one one really annoyed by all these bongs, and druggie pipes being associated with a nice wood tobacco pipe? or am I being over sensitive?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

May 4, 2015
Firstly, welcome. Secondly, yes, you're being overly sensitive. I'm not sure what you mean by "associated" but when I buy my tobacco and my pipes, I don't have to wade through glass pieces intended for smoking marijuana or anything else. Maybe you're shopping at different places than I am?

Nowadays the druggies are soccer moms that twist an ankle and have the doctor give them Oxycontin, and thus a woman that would never use a drug quickly becomes a junky crushing her oxy's and injecting them. A preacher has a migraine goes to the doctor and a couple of months later is buying heroine on the streets. The druggies and junkies are our neighbors, grocers, the mom taking her kids to school in a minivan. I look like them, you look like them, we are all capable of falling for the trust of our doctors.
That said, my tobacconist doesn't carry head shop stuff. You need a better pipe shop. :puffy:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
One of the tobacconists I frequent carries glass pipes, and all other things associated with a head shop, but it mainly sells pipe tobacco, pipes, RYO cigarette supplies, cigars, and has a cigar lounge. They cater to all types of smokers. While in the shop the staff waits on pipe smokers and pot smokers and it doesn't bother me. I don't worry about what other people think I might be doing, and if they really want to know I'll show them my pipes and tobacco and share any information about it they might want to know. Of course In Washington (State) and Oregon, marijuana use is so common now that no one really reacts to it anymore.
If you want to smoke a pipe then smoke a pipe and enjoy it. Don't worry about what others might think of it.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
people don't generally see many pipe smokers, every time i pull out my corn cop and my bag of tobbacy, younger people think i am smoking weed, i have to show them the art of smoking good tobacco.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The place I buy my Carter Hall from, they special order the tubs for me. They also sell glass pipes, cigarettes, vape stuff, chew, rolling supplies, and has a big walk in humidor. They could sell anything, but as long as they have my Carter Hall, I'll look past the rest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can see that the bong-etc. market would be annoying to a new tobacco pipe smoker, not to mention water pipes and vaping. All that caters to current trendy markets among mostly younger people. It only annoys me that I stop to explore a "tobacco" or "smoking" shop only to see these other items. I'm concerned about the plethora of drugs people take and often become addicted to, but that is a separate issue. Once you find your way around the tobacco pipe culture, you'll pick up on the signals in advance and will get to the right places in the world and online. Meantime, shrug it off. My wife and I still laugh about my naively pulling into a new shop in town called "Cherry Pie," expecting baked goods, only to discover it was sex toys instead. It's been worth a good laugh for years.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
A preacher has a migraine goes to the doctor and a couple of months later is buying heroine on the streets
Lol no. You should be writing 1930's propaganda films. Also priests are probably looking for dudes on the street...not FEMALE HEROES

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Sometimes I buy tobacco-related products from head shops. We're both relegated to pariah status, with head shops slowly becoming more accepted and and the tobacco products they may carry less so. Ironically, we're being looked down on as scum by the soccer moms shooting Oxy and the pastors buying heroin on the streets. The snooty junkie assholes! :rofl:

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I hate it when I go into the cheese section of my local supermarket to purchase a fine aged Manchego, and have to see blocks of Velveeta on my way.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Me, too. Fortunately my sweetheart does all the shopping. I am not fond of snooty cheese-only shops, mostly because of the prices, but it is an alternative.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I hate it when I go into the cheese section of my local supermarket to purchase a fine aged Manchego, and have to see blocks of Velveeta on my way.
You realize Gorgonzola is a gateway cheese, right? I have seen the effect. People laying in alley shadows, sucking cheeze whiz straight from the spout without even crackers. Oh, the inhumanity.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OMG, Brad, and you survived!! That's amazingly good luck.
I once asked an Italian deli owner in NYC if he had Gouda cheese. He smiled wickedly and said, "Whassa matter, you? Alla my cheeses are gooda." True story, but I doubt I was the first to set that up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.