PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
lol.. Very true. Seconds of major manufacturers are usually excellent pipes.. some you can't even tell the flaw. (which is cosmetic to be sure) On some "seconds" I've found no flaws so it seems to me that "back in the day" they tossed out better briar even as a "2nd" if it didn't have superb graining.

Reactions: dcon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of my pipes are low or mid-range, with a few more expensive ones which serve as a comparison. Research, as in lots of window shopping, is a key to getting a good pipe at a lower price. Learning the more dependable brands helps. Learning about filters, no filter, and filter adaptors helps, so you know what you are getting. I'd direct people toward briar pipes for starters, because the durability of briar is proven. Bob's assessment on the pipe cleaner test is good; it's useful, but less so on bent pipes. Once you have done your homework and gained some experience, you can find work horse pipes new for $40 or $50, and less as estates. MM cobs with acrylic stems can be had for about $25. I am all for beautiful artisan pipes, and I own a few, but no one should feel apologetic about enjoying pipes that are budget friendly.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.