PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy Gang,
As I was looking over my rack of pipes that I smoke the most, I selected my top-10 out of the bunch and decided to look at the little quirks of each of my favorites (the favorite part is that they impart the full flavor of the tobacco I am smoking).
I am not going to name the makers as all are wonderful handmades by American pipe makers. All are either lightly stained sandblasts or sandblasts with no stain. Each one has a quirk or two. Here they are -
Pipe #1 - Stem is beautifully crafted but thick and not as comfortable as I like
Pipe #2 - Imparts the tobacco flavor better than any other pipe I have... for the first 1/3rd of the bowl then starts to go out and the flavor after the re-lights is somewhat muted. Don't have a clue as to why
Pipe #3 - Handsome pipe, great draw, imparts the flavor of the tobacco beautifully. Draft hole at the chamber opening is a bit too low and keeps getting clogged up.
Pipe #4 - Wonderful smoker but is butt ugly
Pipe #5 - Wonderful smoker with very comfortable vulcanite stem that constantly needs polishing to keep from oxidizing
Pipe #6 - Couldn't ask for a better smoker. Ball shaped. For some reason, the pipe goes out as soon as I stop puffing
Pipe #7 - Handsome classic billiard sandblast. Imparts the flavor wonderfully. As I hit the bottom third of the bowl the tobacco taste becomes very strong and gives me the hiccups.
Pipe #8 - Smokes beautifully from start to finish. Seldom needs a pipe cleaner run through it while smoking and smokes dry. Needs to rest a week after each smoke though or it tastes sour. Go figure...
Pipe #9 - Great little smoker but the chamber is so small that when it comes to puffing, I'm almost one and done.
Pipe #10 - Terrific smoker that delivers a cool smoke with every puff and will smoke top to bottom with few if any relights... but gurgles after just a few puffs. I call it my 50 pipecleaner pipe because that's about how many pipe cleaners are need to smoke a bowl.
Any of you have pipes with a quirk you can live with because they otherwise are terrific smokers?
Best,

Pipestud

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I have a pipe that I would not be seen in public with, if you did see me you'd probably think there was crack in it. But it is an absolutely a great smoker (for tobacco not crack). It has some repairs to the shank and stem that I jerry rigged a long time ago and I refuse to get rid of it. Now I can't imagine it any other way.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I have this one butt ugly pipe that has a stem that is not as comfortable as I like, and it oxidizes fast, too. The draft hole at the chamber opening is a bit too low and keeps getting clogged up. It gurgles after just a few puffs and goes out as soon as I stop puffing, and the flavor after the re-lights is somewhat muted. The pipe needs week’s rest after each smoke or it tastes sour. Luckily the the chamber is so small that when it comes to puffing, I'm almost one and done.
That's also my only pipe.
But seriously speaking, this is a good topic. I've had several perfect pipes. That’s when they are new. After some time when having learned to know them better, there's always seems to be a small problem or a hitch of some kind. A slightly thicker stem that I’d prefer, or fast oxidizing stem or occasional gurgling behavior etc.
If the problems are minor enough the pipe gets to stay and we’ll have learn to live in harmony. If there’s a major discord, the pipe goes for trade or sale. I don’t accumulate pipes. I can’t afford to. Then again, having a small rotation ensures that I will learn my pipes’ hiccups better and can smoke them accordingly.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Steve,
It's really nice to hear some critical comments. Too often it's 'all my pipes are great, no pipe-cleaner-necessary, wide-open, flawless American handmades.' This feels a little more realistic and makes me feel better about my own top 10.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, as the old saying goes, ain't nothing perfect down here! Well, I don't know if that's an old saying or not escioe, but if it isn't, it should be.
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My one and only Kawoodie smokes fine and looks good; it's a sort of author/apple. However, the stem will

not screw in so the bit is perpendicular to the bowl. I guess a cork or metal washer might back it off so it

would square up, but it might be tricky to keep up with the washer since you have to wipe down Kaywoodie's

stinger every time you smoke it. It's a charming pipe, nice size, nice weight, well drilled, good in hand. Just

that one annoying feature. Still, while smoking it, I don't notice the misalignment at all. Happy denial.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Very interesting observations Pipestud! I think all of my pipes, and probably all pipes in general, have some form of quirk to them, though I don't think I've ever really thought about it until I'm actually smoking a particular pipe.
You got any pics of those Top 10?

One of the things that I love about briars is that each and every one has it's own distinctive driving style, like cars. Some do well on curves, some take off fast but have horrible gas mileage, and others just leak oil.
I have my favorite to grab for clenching and taking walks, some are better for smoking before bed, some I prefer for watching a movie, and some I just smoke when I want to punish myself. And, even have a couple best for short trips to the grocery store.
Each has it's own thing. I even have two exact models of Savinellis; one smokes wonderful and taste great all the way to ash, and the other will go out the second I take it away from my lips. Two exact pipes, different experiences. Maybe it's the briar, maybe it's the driver. Who knows.
I just chock it all up to being a part of the hobby.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Very interesting observations Pipestud! I think all of my pipes, and probably all pipes in general, have some form of quirk to them, though I don't think I've ever really thought about it until I'm actually smoking a particular pipe.
You got any pics of those Top 10? - petes03
Yes sir, I sure do. But, many would be easily recognizable regarding who the maker is and I'd rather not have one of our fine pipe makers thinking, "Geez Pipestud, did you have to let everyone know that one of my pipes was among your quirky top 10." So, I'd better take a pass.
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.