PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was reading an article about how doctors shave and sculpt cadaver bone to make parts for living people. The body then restores life to the bone somehow.
My question is, does anyone know of carvers making pipe from cadaver bone? Asking for a friend.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
That would be a great pipe for Glenn Danzig. Interesting idea. I wonder if the pipe would burn with a strange ghost.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This would get into the ethics and morality of treating with human remains. This extends pretty far in most cultures, even treating the remains of slain enemies with seriousness and respect -- obviously violated in many cultures, but I think not most. This idea is based in part on the common sense notion that how you treat with anyone must impinge on how you treat everyone, living and dead. I'm sure there have been people with access to human bone who have made pipes and other objects for use out of them (the bones). The known precedents are not attractive. I would discourage it, with emphasis.

Dec 24, 2012
m7CeX6j.gif

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
My ancestors, the Choctaw had an old old tradition of burial. A scaffolding would be built for the dead and the body would be placed upon it facing the sun so the sun could recognize the person who passed. The body would be left on the scaffolding some times for months, some times for a year or more to decompose.
After sufficient decomposition a holy Choctaw man of the village known as the 'bone picker' would scrape the flesh from the bones with long fingernails and give the bones to family or a bone house. Large amounts of bones would often be gathered and buried together years afterwards or some times brought out for ceremonies.
Don't think anyone smoked anyone or made a pipe out of anyone though lol.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I'm sure you could use Martian bones and smoke your pipe naked.

No wait, different thread.

Sorry

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, pretty creepy. I would never consider having one. Doesn't seem right. Let the dead rest, and respect them. Unless it's a murderer or rapist, the send the body to Mythbusters for ballistics testing :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There was a guy in the Chicago area that made a big splash decades ago as one of his skills was making lamp shades from his victim's skin.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
There's always these guys....
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=4818603
To the doubters: welcome to pluralism. Hope you were OK with this when you voted for it. If not, sorry you didn't read or understand the fine print. There is not one moral standard anymore.
And apparently, bone smokes like a dream!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
The only way I see using human bone in an acceptable manner to fashion a pipe, would be if it were your own. I know of no one who would volunteer for such a thing, though. Otherwise, it sounds like a whole lot of bad. Actually, either way it sounds horrible.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
My question is, does anyone know of carvers making pipe from cadaver bone? Asking for a friend.
I think your friend is in need of some serious help. Sounds all too reminiscent of something that Jeffrey Dahmer would have been interested in. Bottom line... this is one hell of a sick subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.