PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Wether pluralism is an idiotic concept or not? Please clarify.
Yes, the USA, Canada, and Eurpoe are "officially pluralistic with a pluralistic agenda". They are also officially stupid with a stupid agenda, but I don't have to think that's right, either.
And the Starbucks cup "controversy" is completely absurd, from bottom to top. Indulging fools and fringe idiots is why the USA, Canada, and Europe are in serious decline.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I feel it's up to the people involved, not the man on the street.
I tend to agree, on a purely pragmatic level. But there is also another important level. DMSO489 raised it:
This would get into the ethics and morality of treating with human remains.
This is a sentimental approach, because he is a sentimental person, and in my personal view, sentiment is often worth defending.
How would we feel about ourselves allowing the dead to be handled in such a way? The habit of keeping some things sacred, even if we have no pragmatic reason to do so, can point us toward our best impulse, which is to say that life should be more than mere physical adaptation, but needs to have some gravitas and beauty to it also.
Yes, the USA, Canada, and Eurpoe are "officially pluralistic with a pluralistic agenda". They are also officially stupid with a stupid agenda, but I don't have to think that's right, either.
I don't think the question here is "right" so much as "is," but I thoroughly enjoyed your response. "Officially stupid" seems to be a large problem... and yet elections "by the people, for the people" made it that way.
What I see as interesting -- replace that with "miserable" if you're a grim realist -- is that these ideas like pluralism rule our lives, and yet most people find them useless and don't realize how much they control.
Sorry, the song is stuck in my head now.
The guy whose skull got made into a bong... does he experience an eternity of the Grateful Dead and Pantera?

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
37073_438017402914636_1238377861_n.jpg

...Just kidding. It's antler, not cadaver bone.

I am always amazed at how folks find creative ways to interject some sort of political world view into any thread that offers some small fragment of an opportunity. A guy pissing in the streets is obviously an indicator of a worldwide moral breakdown. A Pipe made of bone relates to some pluralistic European agenda.

I have a feeling that it is about to get even more whacked out as it gets closer to elections. People tend to lose their freaking minds.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I would not be at all surprised if this had of happened.

During WW2 I had a Great Uncle while ona n Island in the pacific discovered a Japanese

soldiers body and waited until it was skeletonized and used a femur to rehandle his

'Randell" fighting knife! It is still in the family!

hoo

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
How would we feel about ourselves allowing the dead to be handled in such a way?
Throughout history, the ideas of morality surrounding human remains has evolved immensely. What was once considered normal is now looked upon as morbid and unsettling. Case in point is the Sedlec Ossuary. Looking at images, I'm both repulsed and fascinated. Another consideration, is it worse to keep a macabre souvenir of the dead, or bury the body and do your best to forget a person? What about people who keep cremated remains on their mantle? Just my opinion, but all the different options for all the different people is what makes the world an interesting place.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
deathmetal, "sentimental" is a whole discussion, and I won't do it here. In literature, it usually means unearned emotion, that is evoking emotion that isn't honestly observed. Great literature is full of it, Dickens for example, in many great novels and great scenes. But if sentimentality is, or can be a weakness, equally unowned emotion can also be not only a weakness but an Achilles heel, a soft point that brings down the house in individuals and families (and businesses and churches, etc.). So like you say, sentiment read as emotion can be worth defending and is always involved in defending anything. I worked as a veterans counselor for awhile (mostly benefits, not as a trained psychologist). Some, very few, of our guys were reputed to have body parts gathered in combat situations; this was not associated with healthy readjustment to civilian life. Most of "our" vets hit the ground running, earned degrees on GI Bill, and never looked back, though I doubt they ever forget either.
Back to Dickens and his sentimentality: Oscar Wilde said of the scene of Little Nell's Death in Dickens, "No one except a person with a heart of stone can read of the death of Little Nell without ... laughing."

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cosmic, it is crazy how politics gets brought into everything we do now. I was wondering how this could get political after my post on the subject, choosing to go for comedy. I find that as we allow centralization of powers to manipulate, (that was me being as neutral as I can be) the political ideology of an individual will always be a compass and will surface in everything. Environmental, school, pipe tobacco, taxes, food, etc. the list can go on forever, where governments interjects its beastly self into our lives. You can't take a dump without someone complaining about how much toilet paper you use. So yea, I find it annoying, too, even though I participate and make my voice heard over the "mob". I just can't sit back anymore and allow uneducated statements to surface and not combat them. I may be part of the problem, Especially on this forum. I'm never offended though, by anyone's statement. Everyone falls down on one side or the other, even if you think you are in the middle, you eventually chose an ideology that is closest to your own way of thinking. Our world is truly black and white, the gray tends dissolve once humans get behind closed doors.

Yeh, I could care less what someone does with my bones when I am dead. My wife has made all of these detailed plans about her funeral and burial plot in her family cemetery and such. But, me, when I brought up that I just wanted to be cremated and put back into the food chain as soon as possible she bawked, as if I was requesting the unmentionable. I really really don't care. Once I give up these bones, someone can do as they please with them. I am 100% certain that I won't be needing them any more at all.
On another note, we have a taxidermist in town who will stuff your family pet when it passes to permanently lay curled up in front of your fireplace. And, I have a cat that would make a nice winter hat when he passes.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I'm just trying think what bone in the human body you could use to make a pipe out of. I can't think of a single bone to male a pipe out of.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The whole idea is just sort of weird. It would be like Caitlyn Jenner having a key fob made out of his meat and two veg and saying 'check this out dude!' :rofl:

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
There are no dumb questions. Only dumb answers from a lot of people who replied
Actually you've been proven wrong. 24 hours later the OP spills the beans and admits the question isn't really about smoking boners at all.
So ya, there are stupid questions.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have no issues with drinking my wine from the skulls of my slain enemies (I've had them lined with silver so they won't leak out the eye sockets into my lap)
:rofl:
I have a cat that would make a nice winter hat when he passes.
For a sweater, there's no better than authentic Irish Setter!
I'm just trying think what bone in the human body you could use to make a pipe out of.
The funny bone would be the most "humerus". :)

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everyone falls down on one side or the other, even if you think you are in the middle, you eventually chose an ideology that is closest to your own way of thinking. Our world is truly black and white, the gray tends dissolve once humans get behind closed doors.
Insightful.
I'm not sure it's a question of ideology so much as philosophy.
Pluralism is a simple idea: we all get along by agreeing to disagree, and instead we each do our own thing.
It seems to conflict with the need of civilization, which is people cooperating.
For a friend? ha ha sure it is.
That was the clue, although I have no moral hangups about pipes made of bone. I probably would not seek one however as it offends my taste.
Which leads us to...
So like you say, sentiment read as emotion can be worth defending and is always involved in defending anything.
This seems an important point which is overlooked: sentiment is involved in defending anything.
I was thinking less Dickens than Lawrence Sterne, who wrote of sentiment as an enjoyment of the beauty in life.
This takes us to Plato territory, I suppose, so I'll get out before it gets too heady.
Threads always get political around here, so maybe it makes sense to look to our reasoning behind politics, instead of the politics itself...

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Why is the camel or deer bone that trims your pipe any more moral than human bones? Life is precious. I plan to be used for parts when I go, like a car or computer.
Cosmic, I agree about the smell. I made a bridge saddle and nut out of camel bone for one of my guitars and that stuff stunk like nothing I ever smelled before.

Status
Not open for further replies.