PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I’d like to start this thread for those of us interested in art. “Pipes in art” seems like a great way to show appreciation for both the aesthetic and historical value of pipes and pipe smoking. Even though photos are art, I think we maybe should focus on other medians, as there are already thousands of photos of pipes on this forum…just a thought.
Here are some Dutch paintings of clay pipes, one of which is staring Rembrandt as a model.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I love the last one especially. BTW, your screen name here sure beats your photobucket screen name.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
PabloPicassoGarconalaPipe.jpg

Mar 31, 2014
Great stuff, edgreen! I love the comic piece.
And the clay pipes were small because tobacco was scarce in the "old world." If the average person with the average income came across some tobacco, they could usually just afford a pinch. They'd buy a clay pipe, smoke their pinch, and through the pipe away. Or, in the case of the very long stemmed clays kept at taverns for communal uses, they'd break off a piece of the stem when they were finished to allow the next smoker to have a sanitary smoke.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Although I agree that the scarcity of tobacco and it's high trading value was the primary reason for small bowls, I don't believe for a minute that pipes were merely tossed after one use. From artifacts I've seen of the tavern pipes the ends were indeed broke off from smoker to smoker but they were smoked down to a very short stem. So much so that when they were finally tossed in the latrine or fire pit, the smoker probably had scorched lips. Zero waste in those days.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
WOW, This is a wonderful thread!
I vote this needs to be.. uh.. a sticky? Stuck. Post it, Stick it.. stucky? ... whatever you call it when it's a permanent thread up at the top of the forum heading. People can add Art to it. I firmly believe that pipes, pipe smoking and art all go hand in hand on some level.

Mar 31, 2014
That one is unlike any I've seen. The woman's affectionate proximity as the man is busy, her offering him a smoke...it's pretty unique.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
Awesome thread idea!
Here are two men with the Zouaves 5th NY Infantry during the Civil War:
104hzl3.jpg

And here's a dachshund with a pipe because dachshunds and most German breeds in general are awesome:
359ffad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.