PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
I've been contemplating a 'pipes for troops' proposition. I have been in contact with the USO and a few pipe makers and they say that they would like to contribute and be a part of doing something like this. I researched the internet but came up empty on if its been done already. I'm not sure if something like this already exists. I'm also concerned about some politically correct organizations that may oppose my trying to get servicemen and women tobacco and pipes, although that won't stop me. Any suggestions and does you know of anyone is already doing this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
http://www.military.com/news/article/law-blocks-mailing-smokes-to-war-zones.html

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Man, back in around 2005 or so, I had a friend who was a Master Chief (USN) Corpsman who deployed to the sandbox (about the 4th or 5th at that time).
He chewed Redman, and a bunch of his troopers were smokers. I sent about 6 or 8 cartons of each over to him in a box, and he distributed the smokes and a little bit of the chew (that was the plan, he wasn't greedy).
Funny thing, is I sent him about one million $$$ in play money, too, as a joke. For several months the troopers he treated medically would get a certain amount of play money as a reward for the wound or illness.

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Thats a funny story. I remember when I was stationed in Afghanistan in 2007, the care packages were mostly used stuff like books and toiletries. I never saw tobacco or anything like it. I had to have my family mail me my Ser Jacopo and some tobacco. I would have appreciated it greatly if someone had taken the time to send me a nice pipe and some tobacco.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Well, great Idea, but I doubt that it will work, the military as many of you know, now a days frowns upon smoking and that is why all tobacco products in the commissary became so expensive, if you cant train it out, then let them pay their little salaries for it, military mentality. I doubt the military will let you put together a package of such just to send generically, if you go person to person it may work.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Great idea. Go for it! If blocked, just send them privately for disbursement under the radar. Making soldiers comfortable in the field is part of enhancing troop moral and should be encouraged.

fhb2532

Lifer
Feb 22, 2010
ou might try contacting Altadis, I believe they are involved in a cigars for our troops program.

May 10, 2011
:crying: :crying: Times sure have changed. Back in 72-78 it seemed like everyone smoked in one form or another. The older officers and CPO's usually favored cigars and pipes but also smoked cigarettes because they were easier to light up right away when you were in a hurry. I was one of the few enlisted men who favored a pipe but I was forced into smoking cigarettes due to the situations that I worked in. In combat you just can't take the time to properly smoke a pipe, you might get killed if you do!!!! I can't believe that there isn't plenty of tobacco use in Iraq and Afghanistan unless the troops are partaking in the world renown local smoke. Even at my age you can bet I'd be enjoying the local hashish and smoking style opium. I'd relive Apocalypse Now,,just in the desert :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. Just Kidding MAYBE LDJ :puffy: :puffy:

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
A fellow by the username Frenchy used to send troops pipes and tobacco products while he had an online retail site. He's closed the site, but migbht still do the shipments. He used to be on SF, where I'm no longer welcome.

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
Dr. Grabow made a line of pipes called the Willard, the ones with a yellow dot were bought by RJ Reynolds and given as a bonus for two pouch tobacco purchases, the ones with the red dot on the stem were sold to military exchanges exclusively during the Vietnam era. I never saw one, just the standard Grabows. Several people at the various commands and ships I served on were pipe smokers. My oldest and favorite pipe is a Dr. Grabow bent Regal; I call it my engine room pipe, I always had it when standing engine room watch. I think this idea is a good one, and to hell with the anti-smoking nazis trying to turn everything into Hitlers bunker.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
It certainly can be done and had been done. I had a friend who ran the Morale Support operation in Iraq a few years ago. Another forum I was a part of collected many pipes, tins, and cigars which were shipped to her at her MILITARY ADDRESS. She put the word out and troops from several units that had pipe and c'gar smokers would come by and she would share the wealth. If you are looking for an address, I kno of a Soldier serving in theater who smokes both pipes and c'gars.
EDIT: My guy is in ASSKrackastan, shot him an e-mail to see if he can/would assist in distribution if this program goes off, and to ascertain if there might be and difficulty..which I doubt...Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan..etc..etc, mail is mail!

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Everybody knows 'Smoking May Damage Your Health'
What does the Surgeon General say about IED's, Mortars, RPG 7's and 7.62mm ammo from an AK47?
Yet another ill concieved, knee-jerk reactionary plan that only politicians can think up.
The world needs more politicians that have served their country in the Military. And I mean every countries Governments.
An awful lot of rediculous legislation would then be stamped FUBAR!!!
Pipes For Heroes is a damn good idea. As an ex-serviceman I am well aware of what packages from home does for the morale, and packages from complete strangers is even more of a morale booster. It reiterates the support of the country for what is a very dangerous job and in some small way thanks them for doing their duty on OUR behalf.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I was just thinking if we do send pipe tobacco to the troops, it should probably be one of the aromatics with humectants (PEG), that keep the weed "ready to go" and prevents it from drying out. Since we are fighting in the deserts these days... May I suggest Captain Black (White). Should the fighting move to moister climates, then I would suggest an English or something as dry. Capn Black lights every time, with just one light (from a Zippo) in the wind! And leaves a happy "room" note for those troops that don't smoke. Also, I would suggest sending pipes with large bores, which require less cleaning, along with an easier draw. Also an acrylic bit, since vulcanite is softer and requires more up-keep. It would be cool to develop a camouflaged, all terrain type of pipe with a large bore and acrylic stem for soldiers in the field. An optional bowl cap would be useful as well. Might be of interest to hunters or campers as well. I would go for one. Happy soldiering and happy smoking in the field!

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
I like the camo idea, I remember when Grabow was making the Color Dukes they should have made one in Navy Gray :). On a serious note, let's send over some Zippo pipe lighter inserts as well, a number of these guys probably have Zippos with branch of service, or unit insignia on them but these usually come with the standard inserts.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
"Damn the torpedos (and flak)! Full speed ahead!" :puffy:
I'd be honored to donate a few $ if the guys in the field would be assured of getting the pipes and tobac. :clap:
I've seen many pics of happy guys in camos puffing donated cigars. Why not pipes?

dispatch

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2011
Being I'm doing this alone for the first time, I'm not sure how to initiate this. Any suggestions?

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Dispatch, the last 'care package' i was involved with went over w/out a hitch. The gentleman who was organizing it took receipt of all donations from those who wished to participate. I provided him w/a POC and he simply mailed out the package(s). those who did not donate pipes, c'gars, tins..etc..provided cash to cover the shipping and insurance. i don't kno if you are a member of SF, however the gentleman which I am refering to is called "MIKEM", you could bounce this idea off of him and get info from his experience.

jjmitchem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2012
Dispatch
I just stumbled across this posting - very new member here, new pipe smoker but long time cigar smoker
I can tell you that cigars are very big down range, in fact on my last deployment to Iraq I was the central point of contact for our FOB, I had a coolidor set up and regularly received and passed out hundreds of cigars. My unit even went as far as to re-designate my radio callsign from "Strykehorse Spirit" (I'm the Chaplain) to "Cigar 6"
There are numerous groups that support the military in this way and I can tell you it is greatly appreciated and a huge moral booster. To be able to take a knee and smoke a cigar for an hour or so and forget about the war does wonders. As the chaplain it became an valuable tool for me to get soldiers to open up and talk and to decompress.
I think there is a potential for pipes to be used as well. First like mentioned here the tobacco is not as temperamental to the desert conditions as is cigars. Second, from my professional viewpoint I think the action of smoking a pipe, the preparation and the patients needed, would be very benificial to allow a soldier to rest for a brief moment in a long deployment.
Le me know if you need any help in making contacts down range. As for myself, I'm deploying again next summer and I plan on including a good pipe kit along with my cigars :)

Status
Not open for further replies.