PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I searched the forums for news on this but nothing showed up in my search results. My apologies if I missed it and this is old news.
I believe that the Spring of 2019 issue was supposed to be the last issue ever of Pipes and Tobacco magazine, and maybe it will be. But this press release announcing the acquisition of media assets from Tobacco Merchants Association sort of hints that there may be something brewing.
Here's the quote from the release that lead me to making this post: "TMG has been looking for a way to better to serve the premium tobacco industry and community with tailored news and content and will be able to do so with Pipes & Tobacco Magazine and the popular consumer-driven review website, TobaccoReviews.com. These titles will be in addition to Tobacco Business Magazine, which is a bi-monthly premium trade publication for the premium tobacco and cigar industry. Specific plans for each of these titles will be announced in the fourth quarter of 2019."

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I have never even seen a magazine about pipes or tobacco. When I first started my journey into pipe smoking this was just the first forum I found that looked decent. There are a lot of other forums out there whose websites did not appeal to me. I would love to actually subscribe to any and all of the pipe magazines that I can get my hands on!

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
kcghost - Briar Report was where I saw the press release.
For those that haven't read the press release or don't want to read it, basically what happened is that the parent company that owned Pipes and Tobacco Magazine sold it and the new owners shut down the magazine this past spring. Well, those new owners have now sold this portion of the media assets to yet another company. And that company sounds like they might have plans for bringing back a consumer-focused pipes and/or tobacco magazine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never quite understood how the original publication afforded the production quality it maintained. I sort of assumed it was done by a dot-com millionaire or someone else with resources, but not as a self-sustaining entity. Print publications including magazines of every kind tailored to every demographic are mostly struggling. If this one can return under its own power or by subsidy, I commend them.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
shayde, and all others who are not members of The North American Society of Pipe Collectors, I urge you to sign up now (memberships start at $21 a year). Your membership includes the bi-monthly magazine, The Pipe Collector, at the moment, the only hard copy and online publication dedicated to pipes and tobaccos in America. If you are going to the NASPC Show in Ohio next week (Aug. 23-24), sign up there. If not, go to the website http://naspc.org/ (some stuff is out-of-date, but membership and show tabs are current) and sign up. I get both the hard copy and online copy of the magazine for $21 plus $5 for the online, which is in full color. So, quit bitchin' about what folded ('cause it wasn't overwhelmingly supported) and do your part to support an organization that continues to serve you.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The NASPC is definitely worth the $21 (and more). I look forward to every issue and really enjoying reading it while I smoke.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, the NASPC mag is well worth the modest investment. I get the PDF emailed and print it, but I'm planning on switching to the mailed version next year. I saw a printed copy for the first time earlier this year and its a lot nice than I can do on a laser printer.

mmmpeace

Lurker
Apr 1, 2017
Does anybody here know of a cache of digital issues of the P&T magazines of past? I emailed the customer service but highly doubt I will get any kind of reply with the magazine rights changing of hands. Is it legal to give away digital links to a magazine that is now defunct?? Looking for any back issues really. If I hear back from the publisher (again, highly doubt it) I will post here and let others know if we can order the digital files bundle. If anybody here has/had the digital subscription and would be willing to share links please let me know. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.