PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder why smoking a pipe makes coffee taste so much richer and good? Cigarettes or cigars don't have the same effect in my opinion.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I think it's alchemy. But whatever it is I wholeheartedly agree. There is something magical about a cup of coffee and a nice bowl in the morning. I can't wait until it warms up a bit so I can get back to my morning ritual on the back deck.

I beg to differ on cigars not going well with coffee. Give me a strong dark roasted coffee late at night with a strong madura or dark fired stick on a warm night anytime. Or, a light breakfast blend of coffee with a Connecticut.

I like it with pipes also... that's just a given.
Why they go together? Like tobacco, coffee comes in earthy, citrusy, hints of spice, fruity even... lots of flavors that compliment the flavors of different tobaccos.
My other beverage options are usually fruit juices, water, or Mountain Dew. :puffy:

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
Yep, I like Mountain Dew and homemade limeade with a pipe. As far as alcohol goes I like scotch with a pipe. I usually smoke something little stronger than my daytime OTC with scotch. A strong burley blent like Old Joe Krantz or a balkan like Plum Pudding goes really with a little Johnny Walker or if I'm splurging some Dunhill Nightcap and Glenlivet. I also occasionally smoke a good cigar with scotch. CAO Brazilias are good. I used to love Rocky Patel Edge but the quality of those started to drop. I rarely smoke cigars now because it got to be such a crapshoot as to whether your cigar would be smokable. Many times i have paid ten dollars and up for a premium cigar and the damn thing wouldn't draw or I had to deal with runners. Pipe tobacco is more reliable in my opinion and more economical. But I do like a good cigar sometimes. Maybe I'll try one with a good cup of coffee. Thinking about it now, I never did smoke a cigar with coffee.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Cigarettes or cigars don't have the same effect in my opinion.
I haven't had a cigarette in years but the thought of one with coffee.......
44a50ede258457d473da981e99b8ab73.jpg

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
Coffee made the cigarette taste better. Pipes make the coffee taste better. I haven't smoked cigarettes in years either. I feel your pain.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I agree. Coffee and pipe tobacco (or cigar) compliment each other well. Lately I've been drinking tea and learning the various tea blends. That also goes great with a pipe, sometimes even better than coffee.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I used to love a good Virginia in the morning with coffee, but currently I'm really loving Prince Albert, Granger or Carter Hall.
In the evening I whiskey in many different forms and I smoke tobacco in many different forms.
During the day, it's water or Red Bull and Codger blend.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Coffee for me, when they thru me out of GA, they took away my Southern card and now I can't even buy Mtn. Dew. Scotch, it is an acquired taste. I have never acquired it. Now give me a good red or port and I'm all over that with an English blend savored real slow.

Jan 8, 2013
It works both ways. The pipe makes the coffee better, and the coffee brings out the flavors of the tobacco. I love a pipe and coffee. I also enjoy a pipe with hot tea, or rum.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Unfortunately Can't do without my after dinner whiskeys(scotch, preferably single malts) and pipe / or Cigar.

Btw,now as I'm thinking on pairing a cup of coffee or tea with a pipe can't stop wondering am I supposed to drink this beverage tidy or cold since it won't keep warm during the whole half an hour bowlful

scpipes

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I used to have Dunhill's Early morning pipe whilst I drank my fresh coffee! I should get some more of that one day and go back to it!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I drink Coffee 99% of the time with a pipe. .08% Tea and .02% water.
Got some freshly ground Cafe Verona with some MM 965 going right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.