PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So Pipesandcigars now has the unfinished line of Stanwell pipes, called Stanwell Authentic. They are a little pricier than Savinelli's unfinished pipes, but they look nice enough. I decided I'd try one, as I've always wanted a Stanwell, but for some reason have never purchased one. So this will be my first Stanwell.
pswau-pf-1000.png

pswau-pf-1000_view2.png

The grain on some of these looks pretty nice, so they should be fun to watch them color over time.

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, I had actually planned on a Danish made Stanwell when I finally got around to buying one, but I've heard good things about the new ones too.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
As someone who has both the Danish and Italian-made Stanwells, I can say that I notice no real difference other than the newer ones having acrylic rather than vulcanite stems.
Russ

Jan 8, 2013
As someone who has both the Danish and Italian-made Stanwells, I can say that I notice no real difference other than the newer ones having acrylic rather than vulcanite stems.
Good to know. Thanks for chiming in, Russ.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have four Stanwells, all recent Italian made, and find them excellent.

Jan 8, 2013
Are you going to stain it all or just let it color naturally through smoking?
Wow Yazamitaz! Where have you been? I'm just going to let it color naturally. I have some unfinished Savinellis, one of which I might stain.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Hi Anthony. Glad you pulled the trigger on a Stanwell. I have several Danish and Italian Stanwells, and like Russ, I really can’t discern any difference between the two. I enjoy all of them thoroughly. My favorite is a shape #10 designed by Sixten Ivarssen that I acquired in the late 1960s.

Jan 8, 2013
What kind of stain are you going to use on the Savinelli pipes? I have used the shoe leather dye, and I am afraid the results have not been the greatest. Not bad, but not what I wanted.
Cigarboxgypsy, I use Fiebing's leather dye on pipes with great results. If I decide to stain one of my Savs, it's what I'll use.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I only have one Stannie, and it's a reliable smoker -- never a bad bowlful. I think you chose a really nice shape. It should be comfortable both in hand and as a clencher. Not really crazy about being drilled for a 9mm filter, but most guys don't see it as a problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always cheerlead for letting unfinished pipes color naturally over time. It's one of the distinct pleasures of pipe smoking. Sometimes they become shiny and polished and glow with patina, and other times they develop a sturdy matte finish. Either way, they look just about perfect.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
That is sharp looking.
I may pick one up if I can come across a discount code in the next few weeks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes retailers will have codes that give discounts, which is great if they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.