PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I'm pretty sure that by now we all have some form of SHTF bag at the ready, from an overnight bag to a fully loaded Zombie Mobile. While I was adding a few items to my Bugout bag, the thought hit me: If I have to get outta Dodge, what am I gonna smoke? I put an old Brylon and some Captain Black in a ziplock so that if the time ever arose, I would have a good smoke handy. Has anyone else thought about the gravity of the situation?

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
My bugout bag is full of gen 3 quick clot, tourniquets, ammo, water bottle, snacks, bolt cutters, and the normal stuff. Now I do keep a tin and pipe in my car all the time.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I keep a sealed tin of Royal Yacht in my ammo bag, and extra lighters and a pipe tool with the medical supplies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ bigpond
You're right bigpond. You don't need a gun, the goverment will protect you. Just like they protected those poor men at Benghazi and every defenseless woman who has ever been raped in a parking garage. I guess you never heard of that little spat called the Revolutionary War where we defended our freedom from big tyrannical government with guns. Remember that fella Hitler? He confiscated guns from the Jews before he murdered them. America: liberating the world with firearms since 1776. Oorah

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In my slightly screwy view of things...
...not everyone needs a gun.
There are gonna be different roles in every situation. But, we need some if not a lot of people with guns, because if social order is suspended -- think the LA riots -- you don't want to be sitting around wondering what to do, or hoping you get home before the riot reaches your house, wife, dog, kids and, uh, pipes and cellar of course.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There are different types of SHTF events. Down here we call the main ones Hurricanes and I have a go-bag big enough to hold 10 tins/mason jars and 15 pipes. I also have room for a 750ml bottle of bourbon. On top of that I also have a watertight locked container for any pipes and tobacco I leave behind.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The truck always has a few cobs and a couple of tins ... usually some Kentucky Cheroots as well.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If you take my gun away, who is going to protect you?

Last time I checked, 911 connects to the police, not a yahoo with a bugout bag.
@ bigpond
You're right bigpond. You don't need a gun, the goverment will protect you. Just like they protected those poor men at Benghazi and every defenseless woman who has ever been raped in a parking garage. I guess you never heard of that little spat called the Revolutionary War where we defended our freedom from big tyrannical government with guns. Remember that fella Hitler? He confiscated guns from the Jews before he murdered them. America: liberating the world with firearms since 1776. Oorah
Benghazi, rape, Hitler and the revolution in one paragraph? Please, don't hold back.
We need guns to protect ourselves, that's your point, right?
Gun Homicides (average annually):

Less than 50: Japan

More than 10,000: USA
Rape:

Japan 1 per 100,000

USA 27.1 per 100,00
The US has 148 times the rate of violent crime of Japan. Why Japan? Guns are banned from private ownership.
But the same trends can be seen in Australia, where guns are also substantially banned. US has a murder rate 57 times higher than Aus and has 6 times as much violent crime.
There are a host of emotional arguments that can be made on either side which really miss the point. The reality is we live in a place where things like this happen http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2015/10/13/clarkston-woman-charged-firing-gun-home-depot/73862066/

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Bigpond, the reason there is less rape in Japan is because there are more Japenese than any other culture. Its much more prevalent in the Latino, white, and black communities than Asian. America is a melting pot of different cultures and in order to dissect the problem you must dissect the people. Stereotyping? Yes it is, but stereotypes have a tendency to be accurate, if not close to the truth.
Oh and a gun buy back plan is fiscally irresponsible if implemented. There are 320 million registered firearms in the United States. I doubt any legal gun owner would sell their guns for $1 a piece, which would induce more debt on the government, which would cause a tax hike. There are said to be a total in the neighborhood of 700 million firearms in the US depending on which news network you rely on.

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
The Yakuza also runs major sections of the Japanese society...but as Dave G pointed out Chicago knows how the gangs run streets more than any civil group.

Honduras and Venezuela have very strict gun laws and have the highest murder rates in the world.
The issue people have with guns is a freedom issue. No words or the musing of a delusional self-declared intellectual can justify restrictions on a law abiding citizen. The "yahoo" claim is also the best card the ignorant have, but it will burn up faster than a Daughter's and Ryan blend when put against the flames of true scrutiny (Daughter's and Ryan has the benefit of taste and craftsmenship when blended; rather than tickling one's own stupid bone). Daughters and Ryan also welcomes the flame, while an anti-gun person will use a diversionary tactic when it's clear they've been outed as an individual who denies rights and liberty to those who have earned it (through earned citizenship or inheritance thanks to those who served).
I keep a ton of tobacco in a box in my car...just in case :)

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
Getting into a gun debate is never going to end with all in agreement. I would only like to point out that the UK has some of the most stringent gun laws anywhere in the world and we also have a gun death rate of around 0.26 per 100,000 people (depending on the year figures are available) The USA has a gun death rate of about 10.6 per 100,000 people. That is 40 times higher than the UK as a percent of population.
I'm not going to tell people in a country I don't live in what to do, but I personally feel a lot safer and statistically 40 times less likely to die by a firearm by living in the UK
(My former home country, Canada, the rate is 2.2 BTW as I know there are a few other Canucks on this board!)
Hopefully this will not be see as inflammatory just my personal opinion with some numbers that show national level gun control in the long term does make a difference to gun related death rates.

beerandbaccy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 22, 2015
Oh and I would take my Savinelli bent apple, my Rattrays rustic bent Rhodesian, Dunhill Elizabethan and Gawiths American Delight . 1 x Aro, 1 x non-aro and a pipe for each!!

That would keep me happy come the apocalypse as I ran to the hills with all my camping and fishing gear I could muster :)

Status
Not open for further replies.