PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
What's the best way to reduce the size of the flame on Zippos for pipes? I watched a couple of videos that suggest moving the wick towards the striking wheel, but those are normal Zippos (with the grill instead of the round holes sideways). Is that all you do, really? Will the wheel get damaged by the adjustment?

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I find that if the lighter is overfilled the flame can get a little unruly. I rather under fill then deal with a flame that can set my eyebrows on fire, especially if I am smoking while enjoying a few adult beverages.

Reactions: anotherbob

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
J.Henry raises a good point about overfilling. I ended up with a good fuel burn on my leg from having overfilled my zippo and then placing in my pocket for an hour.
I had that happen and the fuel just spilled a bit before I removed it. Itched/burned for a couple of hours after!

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
I love my Zippos, but 9 times out of 10 I go with a Bic. Cheap, easy, and zero maintenance.

With that said, there is something special about the feel and sounds of a Zippo that is so damn satisfying in an undescribable way.

Reactions: jhowell and mau1

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I normally use my Kiribi Mikazuki, but yesterday it was rather windy and both Kiribi and Bic were not easy to light with. I took my Zippo, thinking it ideal for such conditions but the flame was so huge that I almost burned myself when the wind pushed it against my fingers; I was also concerned about the flame being pushed towards the tank, so I gave up and fought the Kiribi.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
The upward movement is to empty the cap of so gas accumulated and to avoid the "boof" that it makes that sometimes blows the flame on the ignition (a little like you extinguish your oil wells:))

If not to set a correct flame must shorten the wick, and more lighter will empty less quickly.
(But it's not up to a Frenchman to give advice for a Zippo ...☺)

Reactions: timelord

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
you can take the cotton out and pull down the wick. you can cut it, but i think there's thin wire around the wick.
i usually don't have an issue using bic in wind. just cup the bowl and bring the lighter closer to tobacco.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Yes there is thin brass wire around to keep rigid wick, but cuts easily with chisel.
There must also be enough cotton and it is a little packed if the wick sucks the gasoline at full speed and the flame is larger, especially after filling.
I cut the wick a bit below the top of the chimney, otherwise we have a big useless flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.