PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone ever tried pipe tobacco ryo? I have heard of some folks doing this and have wondered about it, but somewhat cringed the thought of making a ciggy out of pipe tobacco. Kinda seems like giving the Beverly Hillbillies a Rolls Royce only to have Granny strap her rocker up top. Thoughts?
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I did. Look for the shag cut tobacco. But, to be honest, I got away from cigs, pipe is so much tastier.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I not sure I understand the question.
Are you asking have I ever smoked RYO pipe tobacco in a pipe, or are you asking have I ever smoked RYO pipe tobacco in a cigarette?
And by RYO pipe tobacco do you mean the large 16oz bags of "pipe tobacco" that are sold very dry and with a very fine cut, that are obviously meant for RYO cigarettes and not to be smoked in a pipe? They are labeled as pipe tobacco only to qualify for lower taxes, as pipe tobacco is taxed much lower than cigarette tobacco.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
This is how I found out about the joys of real pipe tobacco. I was rolling my own and buying the cheap bagged shag cuts and still found it unsatisfying. I hate the papers. I bought a MM Legend and started smoking my shag in that, and it wasn't great, but it was w/o paper, so next I started 'exploring' other pipe tobaccos.

Eventually I hit upon this web page and the rest is TAD, and PAD! :lol:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
+1 michiganlover
The candid clerk will tell you that up front. There may be some convenience store clerks might not know it, but the ones I've run into do and say it right away. Just *marked* as pipe tobacco. Isn't meant for a pipe.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I know the cheaper one pound bags of fine cut "pipe tobacco" is meant for RYO cigs, but it makes my lungs hurt just thinking about inhaling one of those cigs. (and I smoked cigs for 42 years) 8O

carpart67

Lurker
Jan 21, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have done this with aromatic pipe tobacco. It's very similar to smoking the small pipe tobacco cigars. I used to smoke the small captain Blacks before transitioning to the pipe, so I tried it out of curiosity one day. It works and is alright as a quick smoke. Good for places where you don't want to bring your pipe, or for sharing a smoke with a non piper. I haven't done it for a while and much prefer to use my pipe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
+1, carpart. Prince Albert makes a fine RYO for convenience's sake. I actually use two papers, otherwise it can get a little boggy with moisture. I smoke mine cigar style, not like a cigarette.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Yep. I've used various pipe tobacco to roll cigarettes before. Just last night I had an English blend in ciggy form. :P It wasn't bad at all! I started rolling my own as a way to test the idea of PH balance and to help find if I had problems with particular tobaccos. For example, I was getting tongue bite with some burley blends in a pipe, but in ryo form they didn't seem to bother me nearly as much.
*Note: I never inhale and I use rice papers and cotton filters in a hand roller.
It's an interesting experiment if nothing else. Sometimes the result can be pretty tasty and good for a quick pick-me-up when I don't have time for a pipe.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I bought some Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam 2 months ago and really enjoy it. It's not the RYO cut. It's a shag cut for pipes. Smokes like a RYO though and haven't yet tried it wrapped in paper. PS does make a RYO cut and the reviews have been good. If I feel like smoking a cigarette I'll pack my pipe tight with Amsterdam and the urge for the cig passes. Amsterdam is good for those wanting to transition from cigs to the pipe.

Jul 21, 2015
I cellar large amounts of D&R Venguer to use for SYO.
At a minimum i have atleast 20lbs of the stuff in stock. Currently my little electric Powermatic cigarette maker has seen roughly 8000 cigarettes made in the last year.
I prefer SYO in the larger cut that is essentially "Pipe" ribbon. Its a better burn for a heavy lung as mine then the shags.
Five Brothers, Peter S, Orlik GS, SGW Kendal Kentucky, any D&R product, and C&D big and burly are some of my favorites to stuff a cigarette from.
for papers i use , D&R, Mascotte, Club and Players.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
A number of years ago Half and Half (when that brand was still under the auspices of The American Tobacco Company) manufactured cigarettes from their pipe-tobacco, and they were quite good - assuming that you did NOT inhale the smoke!

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
I've smoked the RYO/pipe tobacco in papers and if I didn't want to roll one up I'd stick it in a pipe. Not a big deal.

I've smoked legit pipe tobacco in papers, Prince Albert being my favorite. G&H Dark Birds Eye is another favorite.
There is no right or wrong way to smoke tobacco in my opinion. I know a guy who exclusively smokes RYO/Pipe Tobacco(Good Stuff Brand) in a pipe, he inhales and he is happy with it so more power to him. I also occasionally inhale though I get better flavor from my pipe if I don't.
I also smoke reg cigarettes, Camel Lights, chew Skoal, and insufflate copious amounts of snuff tobacco.
Lol all that to say, Yeah I do it, and granny sure looked happy in her rocker lol

May 4, 2015
Daughters and Ryan Three Sails is a good option. Blended Virginia and you can throw in some perique or another condiment to make it interesting.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Wish I could still find this in my country (Texas). It was good for cigarettes, pipes or other uses:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9743/hbi-three-castles

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Thanks for the input. I just tried Captain Black in a zig zag paper and you had better draw slooooowwww! Harsh and hot otherwise, and will make your sinuses cry mommy.

Status
Not open for further replies.