PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
Hello,
This is my first post in the forum, and I would really like to get some help from those who reside in NYC. I'm living in Turkey, which I doubt anyone knows that besides the manufacture of meerschaum pipes, there isn't any import tobacco in Turkey. As I plan to visit family in NYC, I would need to stock up when I go. My question is that I was born in June of '95 and NYC recently raised the legal age to 21 (pfft). Would I be able to purchase pipe tobacco, considering the fact that I look old enough? :D

w2srg

Lurker
Dec 22, 2012
pattersonville ny
hello, and welcome to America. In ansawer to your question. You'll probadly be asked for proof of age. Also nobody living in New York State buys tobacco in New York State. First the high prices, two, the 75% state tax on top of the county tax(from 8 to 11%). Enjoy your visit to NYC, it is a great place to visit, it never sleeps.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If you are there during the NYC Pipe Club meeting, definitely drop by, a great group of guys/ladies and one of the few establishments where you can smoke indoors.
http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
Thank you for your replies. I've noticed the high taxes back in 2011, but wasn't sure about pipe tobacco, thank you for an explanation.
ssjones, I would like to do that, if there will be a meeting between the late january and early february.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
NYC is tight on its various regulations so I wouldn't try to finesse the age requirements. However, you might enjoy a visit to Nat Sherman, one of the famous old pipe and cigar shops, at 12 East 42nd Street in Manhattan, NYC. Have a great visit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The meeting is always the second Tuesday of the month, so that would be February 9th. Club President, Lou Carbone is also a member here. I'm sure if you have to be in town earlier, he wouldn't need an excuse to have an impromtu meeting at the bar earlier. Let me know, I travel from Maryland, but I'd definitely make an attempt to meet you.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
However, you might enjoy a visit to Nat Sherman, one of the famous old pipe and cigar shops, at 12 East 42nd Street in Manhattan, NYC. Have a great visit.
Stopped in there when I was in NYC earlier this year. Great place, friendly people and quality baccy.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Are the pipe tobacco taxes less in New Jersey or Pennsylvania? It might be worth a quick trip if it is.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
PA is way less than NYC or NJ. There really aren't any shops in NJ close to NYC. JR Cigars,Whippany the closest, about 15 miles outside the metro area.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hey, if it works out schedule-wise, I'd be happy to pick up the blends you want at Cigars International in PA (right on my way) and deliver them to you in NYC. CI's prices are the lowest on the East Coast and they have a decent selection.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
ssjones, thank you very much for your warm and kind sentiments, I'm definitely happy to have decided to join the forum/community. I would love to attend if there are no schedule conflicts, it's always great to make international friends! I don't know if the tobacco offer was for me, but if every other arrangement fails I may need it :D hope everything goes according to the plan.. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.