PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Close to retiring , what do you smoke as an everyday go to. Will have a couple ones that I have but those are on fixed income, what is your good to dailey. Mine might be CH. BUT love Larry's Blend & Scotty' Burley.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Try to hit some deals while you are still working and stock up on Larry's Blend and Scotty's Burley. I fear that even the OTC blends will soon be taxed out of reach for many pensioners. Both of those blends can be bought in large tins and I believe even in bulk from P&C, so I think it would be in you're financial interest to try to buy as much as you can afford while you still have a working income. I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but I do think it's a more practical approach.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Better do it. I just retired with 55 pounds in the cellar at 72 years of age. Not gonna be enough.

Taxes is gonna kill you in the long run. Better stock up while you can.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Not trying to be trite, but I think the pertinent question here, and more importantly, is what do YOU consider as an everyday smoke? Obviously everyone's taste and preferences are different so suggestions as to what YOU should purchase as an everyday smoke really doesn't mean squat.
I've been retired for ten years and I've yet to determine what would be considered as an everyday smoke for me, albeit I have some inclinations if push came to shove. But, I personally would never suggest any to you, or anyone for that matter, as your taste might very well be different than mine. Bottom line... this is only something you can decide and not leave it up to others. Go with what YOU like and not what others like. :wink:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Being on a fixed income can have an impact on what you smoke but every bit as important is how much of it you use. If you're a light smoker you can spend a bit more per ounce. In the end it's a question of "How much do you have to spend each month on tobacco?". The amount you need and the price per oz. has to conform to that number. I've been retired several years now and tend to buy Balkans & Vapers in bulk with an occasional tin or two of something special for interest. On average $50-60 a month plus shipping. If you stock enough to order every other month you can save the shipping costs as most on-line suppliers will ship orders over $100 for free. I always feel saving the shipping is like getting a tin for free. No quite but pretty close.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not knowing your age, mine is 68, I really can't comment on your personal situation. For myself, I have simply decided that I don't want or need any more tobacco on hand than I can smoke in a few weeks or so. I'm a heck of a lot closer to the end than the beginning. Also, the older I get the faster my senses of smell and taste erode. I have know idea what I will like in the bowl tomorrow, much less in a month or longer.
So, my questions are how old are you and what is your reasonable expectation of the number of years you have left to smoke?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm 68 yrs old and have been retired for 6 yrs. Can't say as I have an everyday blend. I have about 20 blends represented in my rotation and smoke whatever I'm in the mood for. C&D's Pegasus is my preferred first smoke of the day and a mixture of Lane's 1Q & BCA is my end of the day blend.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Not knowing your age, mine is 68, I really can't comment on your personal situation. For myself, I have simply decided that I don't want or need any more tobacco on hand than I can smoke in a few weeks or so. I'm a heck of a lot closer to the end than the beginning. Also, the older I get the faster my senses of smell and taste erode. I have know idea what I will like in the bowl tomorrow, much less in a month or longer.
So, my questions are how old are you and what is your reasonable expectation of the number of years you have left to smoke?
I'm the same age and more or less what I was trying to convey, and I'm of the same mind as to no need for any more tobacco on hand than I can smoke in a few weeks or so. I've got more than enough to keep me a happy camper and I haven't any concerns whatsoever about hording a shit load of tobacco that I'll never be able to smoke.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Bulk blends on sale will fill a cellar quickly and at less cost than even OTC's.
Here's a few that come to mind
Newminster #403 Round Slices and #400 Navy Flake ... fantastic value

McClelland #5100 Red Cake ... great straight and a superb blender

C&D Big N' Burley, Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd ... several more depending upon your tastes
Enjoy your new-found freedom! :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't have a go to blend that I enjoy daily. I always seem to have about 25 or so blends on the go at one time. Hopefully when I retire, which won't be for at least 15 years, I will have been able to cellar enough of the blends I enjoy that I can keep on enjoying them with little or no financial output. Of course there will always be new or new to me blends to try once in awhile so my cellared leaf won't account for that. :puffy:

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm 68 yrs old and have been retired for 6 yrs
Ray, if that's you in your avatar, your look great!
Warren is the same age and he looks like a salty, hard-assed SOB.
@Perique, yepper that me. Pic taken about 5 yrs ago.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
There's a great ongoing sale at pipesandcigars on SPC Mississippi River under $30 for 8oz tin. Great stuff!! And will age like a fine Bordeaux. I've been "retired/disabled" going on a decade and I'm 43 :( I age more like roadkill than a fine bordeaux.

P

pipebuddy

Never sacrifice quantity over quality, I say.
You're better off smoking less but smoking something you completely enjoy one pipeful after the other.
Anyway, even the tubs of OTC are getting expensive. So just smoke what you like.
Life is too short to impose on oneself an everyday tobacco we only find ok.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I am blessed to be able to retire five years early starting next month. My every day smoke is PS Balkan Supreme but I also enjoy Sutliff's Blend No 5. They are both economical, dependable and taste great! Larry's B;end is right up there.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I have been retired 11 years now 76. I have modest cellar it takes allot of smoking to empty quart jar. A tin is good for a month if. Used with others. Tobacco even at 5 oz. a ridiculous number today. Why reduce quality. Shel

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Warren, I am 68.5. And I agree with you 100%.

Have lived longer than any male in my family's history so far.

So, I ain't stocking a bunch of stuff that my wife will throw in a dumpster.

Hopefully I go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.