Pipe Tobacco Containers = Best ? Suggestions ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You could always use a nice humidor.

Humidors.jpg

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I just bought a twelve pack of better homes and gardens pint jars for $7 at walmart. All of the canning stuff is on sale right now. I saw the ones you were talkig about Bubba but they were $2-$3 each and it was cheaper to buy the twelve pack. My girlfriend also really loves the design of them and the included recipes. Though, she will probably steal half of them haha.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Oh and Joe I saw ones similar to yours but they wanted $6-$10 each so I opted for the jars.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Ball quart and pint canning jars are on sale at the local market for 7.00 for 12 with the ring and lid,,,got 12 of each

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
Check out this site for storage containers. Sold by the case, no minimum.

I like the hexagon jars. http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=15

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Ball has a 4oz jar / wide mouth , fits 2oz just great.

...and the kerns 16oz wide mouth $12 per case.
...and believe the pickle warning.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
For me the best are the glass, spring clasped, rubber sealed canning jars like you can see on the middle shelf. They are totally air tight. Unless you open them regularly, they do not need any humidification.

baccystore.jpg

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Nice! I've kayaked the sound.
So the funniest thing, my mother never ceases to astound me. We were chit-chatting and she asked how the pipe smoking was going, and I asked her about storage jars. I somehow never thought about the fact that she's an expert at canning and preserves! She started rattling on about more information than I've seen in complete editions of Encyclopedia Britannica, and I'd like to share a couple choice tidbits with you all here.
  1. Always boil to sterilize, a dishwasher just doesn't cut it. And yes, sterility is important especially for long-term storage.

Bail-top jars are great if they aren't going to be moved around much, but screw-on lids are best for the longest term storage.

Ball mason is her preferred brand. None of this new-fangled foreign crap (her words! :lol: )

A rubber seal rubbed lightly with beeswax and/or vaseline will last indefinitely. She's sure that's what they used in the pyramids (hey I'm not gonna dispute my mother :roll: ). When using bail-top jars she prefers the silicon rubber gaskets. She'll also coat the glass jar thread, bails and screw lids with wax to prevent corrosion!

Regarding transportation--if you ever need to move your jars from their cool dark cellar, move them in a igloo-type cooler. If you really want to age it, protect it.
There was a bunch of other stuff, but I think I covered most of the salient points. I hope this helps or inspires some of y'all!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Sure are, unclearthur. Reminds me of taking her to the Dali museum; her idea of art is crochet and Franklin Mint dolls, yet she loved discovering Dali--her mind was totally blown. One of our best-ever bonding experiences.
Back to the jars, I spent some time looking at what's available online and notice that unless a jar's specifically sold for canning you're probably not getting a jar capable of a hermetic (air-tight) seal. Stick with canning supplies if you're looking to seriously store your weed.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Mason jars all the way. . ..
Well actually Ball jars in my case, but same thing.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I got one that's very inexpensive. If you guys' wife is like mine, she always buys candles, you know the scented ones with the glass lids on them? she always washes them out and puts them out in the bar with the lids and said that they make ggod candle holders for outside and the lid keeps the rain off. Well me get to thinking, these things have a rubber seals to keep the scent of the candle, then it should work to keep tobacco fresh too and it works great. There is no resudual oder from the candle the glass does not hold the scent, and so far I have around 10-15 of them and they hold a good amount of baccy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.