PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Class, Dan! Very funny!
We will probably never see an outright ban on pipe tobacco in our lifetime. Or, at least in MY lifetime. But you will see a greatly reduced selection in ever more mandated packaging (50% or better coverage with "warning" labels) at much higher prices, sold in fewer and fewer places. The market will shrink, the economics of producing pipe tobacco will get tighter, and fewer and fewer companies will produce less and less.
Welcome to the UK.
Andy

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
100% of all life ends in death. I am going to stay in my room and wait for it :crazy:

The sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling.
I wonder how many people waste months of their lives worrying about situations they have absolutely no control over. While they do I will be eating my steak and eggs and having a great bole of Tom's Blend with my coffee.

If you perceive a problem, do what you feel is feasible for you to do, and get on with your life. Just my 2 Cents. :puffy:

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
A reply to the post on the loss of tax cash cow deterring an outright ban... Others taxes can be increased to offset this loss!
Tax Revenue loss did not play in the total ban of Alcohol and it did not play in the

repealing of the ban!

The Illigal revenue it generated by smuggling and bootlegging was so great it led to

the roaring twenties and this boatload of money was so great and so many officals were corrupted by it they eventually realized the ban consequences were so much worse than Alcohol was ever thought to be!

I am not predicting when this will happen But I believe it eventually will Deny it or Not personally I am convinced it is coming the question IS how soon? , oh yes about growing it ourselves Marijuana can be grown by us but what happens when caught doing so?

If Not a ban just maybe it will go as New Zealand The tax on tobacco automatically increases 10 percent

per year . You would not believe what a tin cost there now!
Another example ie. a ban on Guns in Australia and England ! Tax loss was NOT remotely considered in these areas NOR the LOSS of jobs were any deterent!

hoo

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If we are talking the US and most likely Canada, there simply are an insufficient number of smokers to result in a similar situation which arose during Prohibition. Lots of people drink, not so many smokers. I will concede the allure of the illicit though and that could upset my assumption.
Taxes a more important consideration these days than in the 1920s. Government needs proportionally more money now than it did in those days, before "The New Deal." The people living on the government dole, politicians and government employees to the neediest of the needy, want every penny possible mined from those that have money.
I know people in Great Britain who would be surprised to know that "gun" ownership was prohibited. Certain "guns" are indeed prohibited, not all guns. I know hunters who possess long guns and shotguns legally. I know a few that have pistols in their homes. Please more about this encompassing "gun" ban in England.
I can't address Australia as I do not know anyone from there sufficiently well to ask about their gun possession. My understands is that hunting is alive and well there. There must be some legal ownership there.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I think we all need to pack a bowl, light it and sit back and relax and enjoy. Let our stress roll away. Isn't that why we all like to smoke our pipes???

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
That is good advice, BUT I don't think that a friendly debate is any cause for alarm. If anyone thought it was other than that I apologize for the misunderstanding.

The debate I believe was of 2 individuals that disagreed in some part.( what a dull existence it would be IF everyone agreed on everything)

Which comes down to "agree to disagree" conclusion, LOL
I have yet to see any debate turn into a full blown argument on this forum , Unfortunately that is NOT true of others I have seen.

hoo

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just heard that there will in fact be a ban of pipe tobacco, but only certain ones viewed by The Council as undesirable.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Can I get a printed copy of that complete article. We need to replace the cat litter...

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Can I get a printed copy of that complete article. We need to replace the cat litter...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
That might be difficult as I read an article on the Internet, which of course we all know is ALWAYS true and irrefutable, and it seems as though newspaper print has been found to be hazardous to cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.