PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Hello fellow pipers,

I'm going to be passing through Heathrow soon and was wondering if someone with experience can give me direction (T2) re. pipe tobacco availability. Also if someone can give a general feel for the prices so that I can decide if its worth the search (and purchase).
Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've asked this question before, not just about UK/Heathrow, but about duty free shops in general. I've never found pipe tobacco in a duty free shop, and no one has ever responded by reporting that they have either. So I will be interested to see if anyone answers this post. Maybe it isn't carried because there isn't enough volume involved. I'm not exactly a globe trotter, but I have been out of the country from time to time and I've never seen pipe tobacco duty free.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I was there a few times last year. I seem to remember there being some Samuel Gawith offerings in one of the tobacco areas but nothing I couldn't find in the U.S. There were other blends and manufacturers but not much.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
In the past couple of years, I've seen multi-pouch boxes of Clan, Condor, as well as tins of Dunhill My Mixture at LHR duty free shops. Reaching a bit further back, I've also noticed Borkum Riff samplers. Duty free shops usually display pipe tobacco near the cigar and cigarillo displays. Good luck!

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Duty free pipe tobacco at LHR is only available at Terminal 5. I've written about this extensively in previous posts:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/condor-at-lhr
And if you are vacationing in Thailand, here you go:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-tobacco-retailers-in-bangkok
And should you be going to Barcelona anytime soon (didn't post about duty-free, but I remember seeing mainly MacBaren tins of Plumcake and Scottish Blend going for cheap; while this not be a big deal to US travelers, Canadian, Aussie, NZ pipers, among others, might take note ):
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-tobacco-retailers-in-barcelona-spain
Just got back from a trip to Rome and need to post about tobacco shops there with pictures. However, I did not see any pipe tobacco at FCO--it was mainly cigarettes and Toscano cigars (mind you, I was flying through a mainly European terminal and duty-free is not available for travelers going to and from EU member states). As Switzerland is not a member of the EU I was able to pick up some duty-free goods (mainly alcohol, which I will also discuss in more detail in the upcoming post).
Dubai duty free has TONS of tins of Dunhill--mainly Nightcap, London Mixture, and EMP; and Davidoff Green, Red, and Blue Mixtures. Also sell Peterson Pipes but can't remember the prices.
Abu Dhabi duty free sells Dunhill tins and pipes; Picked up a tin of Royal Yacht there a few years ago but haven't popped it yet--its back in storage in the States.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
I guess my dreams of finding a duty free heaven full of tins where just that :). Thank you call for all the responses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So it's Terminal 5 at Heathrow. Be a nice project if there were a long layover. It sure beats sitting in the waiting area re-reading a magazine. Wonder if Gatwick has any pipe tobacco. Wonder how the prices compare. Sometimes there is a temptation to buy something duty free rather than change your money for a fee, thinking you come out better, although that's not always true. Depends on how much you really want what you're buying duty free. A few tins of pipe tobacco are easier to carry than bottles of whiskey.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
The Terminals at LHR are not linked but are more like seoarate airports; in particular, Terminal 5 is detached and is used only by British Airways flights.
Condor RR and Clan were the only pipe tobacco's stocked last time I was there (last year). They used to have St. Bruno RR at one time, so it may just have been out of stock.
They come in 250g (5 packets) boxes.
The prices are indeed less than outside in UK but still not as cheap as tobacco in US.
That's it though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So better to buy in the U.S. anything that is available in the states. Thanks.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
So better to buy in the U.S. anything that is available in the states
Absolutely. I have NEVER, EVER seen pipe tobacco prices lower than in the US. Combine the great discounts (a.k.a. buy 3 get 1, etc) and free shipping plus some mason jars for all the bulk blends--you simply cannot beat it. So while some forum members complain about higher prices at COJ over P&C or vice versa, it's still chicken feed compared to what people have to pay in other countries. Affordable, high quality tobacco is one of the things I really miss about living in the States (well, that, and a nice backyard and fireplace). And buffalo wings.
Pipe tobacco prices in Spain aren't bad--I strongly suggest those in Canada, Oz, and NZ to go crazy and pick up as much as possible if visiting. In fact, I really feel for our Aussie, Kiwi, and Maple Leaf brethren. Prices for tobacco in these countries are certifiably insane.
I'm fortunate to live in Switzerland. European countries such as Switzerland, Germany, and Belgium certainly have somewhat higher prices (like USD 22.00 for Pease and C&D) but there are some outstanding local blends available to us such as Schurch, Hu, and Semois that are really only a few dollars more than what you pay for McClelland, Pease, or C&D in the States. Plus, we have the added benefit of living in countries that tolerate smoking MUCH more than in the States. Smoking is extremely common and no one really frowns or makes an issue of it in Switzerland.
But I still really miss buffalo wings….

Reactions: Scottmi
Status
Not open for further replies.