PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
So as I walk into my office this morning, I feel just a bit uneasy. Upon further investigation I realize that my office and some other offices in the convention center I'm the chef of have been ransacked. Whats missing? Well the obvious, my computer along with 4 others(mine being my own personal computer) Some of my Shun knives, Booze and worst of all my only 3 pipes I owned along with my new lighter my wife bought me for our anniversary! Just got done speaking with the police and insurance said they can cover everything but my pipes and lighter. Has anyone on here ever had pipes stolen?! Why would someone do that? Sorry this might be the wrong place to post. But other than looking at local thrift/antique shops should I just plan on never seeing them again?

I hate it for your loss. But, no one but a pipe smoker knows that pipes have any value at all. Most people assume that because you see $15 Dr. Grabow pipes at the drug store, that all pipes are worth about that.

Were they in a case that was stolen? If so, they thought something else was in the case, or they may have wanted a pipe for smoking drugs, which is gross one several levels. But, I guess there is the slightest possibility that a pipe smoker may have been in the act of burglarizing you business when they noticed you pipes, but I doubt it.

I hate it for you, and feel your pain. That sucks!!

Check the trash can around the building. It is most likely that when they realized that they had tobacco pipes, they tossed them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm with Michael. The uninitiated have little knowledge of the value of our briar companions, and they may well have trashed them. That said, man that sucks.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
What a crappy Monday!! Sorry to hear about that!! As paranoid as it might be, my valuable pipes live in a locked display case 24/7 for fear of just such an occurrence. So sorry this happened to you!!

Jun 4, 2014
Very sorry to hear about the theft, its a terrible way to have to start your week. E-Bay and local pawn shops are other places where your pipes may show up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Boy, it's conundrum. Having the pipes in one place makes them easy to maintain and better for selection for any particular blend of tobacco. You really don't want them stashed all over the house, the vehicle(s), the town, etc. Depending on what pipes you had, they may have suggested some value. Thieves will peddle or try to fence anything that catches the eye. They may want specific items -- jewelery, drugs, firearms -- but they will certainly sell anything that looks interesting. In a pinch, they don't care if they get five bucks apiece for things, if they can suck some cash out of their haul in a hurry. They want cash, they want to get rid of it. Go to pawn shops, antique shops, flea markets. You might have to buy the items back. Going to the police, etc., could take months. Or may buy some, cheap if possible, and have the rest tracked, if possible. I think finding them is an extreme long shot. I'm sorry this happened to you. I've been their, not with pipes, but with other stuff. Some I got back -- great police work But it's pure chance.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Tough break. The lighter in particular. Sorry for your loss but the likelihood of ever recovering them is slim to none. The only real hope is that video surveillance might have caught them on camera, leading the police to an arrest before they can dispose of the property. Chances are the thieves use a fence to move the items and that often happens shortly after the theft itself. You might get lucky but don't hold your breath.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Great idea checking the garbages around the building! The pipes I had are not really worth anything to anyone but me as they were all given to me buy my wife for anniversary, fathers day and christmas. But all from the local "tobacco" shop like 15-20$ max. But cause they were given to me by my significant other. Also one was a kit pipe that I made. Really truely is irritating that people take instead of work for their own stuff. I am going to go trash diving now!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was burgled some years back, my insurance policy covered all. The pipes were simply lumped in with the CDs and other misc. stuff which were taken. Between a couple of my wife's fur coats, a couple pair of mukluks, photo gear, etc. I received a check which covered the losses including the pipes. The pipes were itemized, as were the CDs, jewelry etc. I feel I received fair market value. A neighbor recovered one pipe, found on the road. Six now belong to the insurer if they were or are ever recovered.
I have no idea what, if anything was recovered (I could check through old buds on the Department) as all the property now belongs to the insurance company.
As the insurance company won't cover your pipe loss you are still the owner. Having no idea where you live, I would suggest if there is a dealer in used pipes in your area check in and provide with a description.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Thanks warren, this post just gave me hope! I did find in the parking lot my tobacco pouch, empty but I have the pouch! probably didnt want it cause its one I made from old jeans hahaha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This opens your gift requests for the holiday season. You might ask for gift certificates from online retailers, which would give you the option of staying within the certificate or adding some money of your own, and getting just what you want. At the low end, cobs are always great. I'd recommend the MM freehand with acrylic stem, big bowl, durable stem. For good briar at a really low price, Dr. Grabow Royaltons are durable and well drilled (usually), as are Chapuis-Comoy at tobaccopipes.com. If you win the lottery, there are Beckers and Dunhills galore. 'Love them high end works of art, but luckily, you can do great smoking in well-selected budget pipes too.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
@mso489 I just told my wife and she was just as sad and bummed as I am especially cause I have only had the lighter for 4 days! She had the same idea of hinting at gift certs to smokingpipes.com. I was just saying to her a few nights ago while laying in bed cruising this great forum that I should go get a corn cob to keep at work or in the car just incase something bad happens. Well I guess I jinxed myself. A lottery winning would mean traveling to the factories to watch my new pipe be made :D

Seriously? What pawn shop run by a normal human being would accept a pipe? Bah ha ha! What person would assign any value to them but a hardcore pipe smoker? No one would steal a pipe on purpose, unless we are talking gold and ivory pipes that are obvious bling bling. No pawn show would ever take in a pipe for any reason. However, I love the idea that we are so deluded into this hobby that we think someone would actually want one of our nasty smelly pipes that are coated in tar and oooz. Ha ha, even drug addicts would probably sniff the bowl and toss it in preference to smoking their drugs from a carved rotted apple core that will certainly smell better.

No, the pipe is most likely in the garbage or on a curb somewhere.
Oh, and if anyone knows of a pawn shop that will let you hack a pipe, let me know. It would be so much easier than ebay, and if they'll take pipes, they may be interested in some lakd in Southern Florida that I have for sale. :wink:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Sorry to hear that. Post some pictures of the pipes if you have them. If they show up for sale online, more than likely, someone one the forum will see them.
Sadly, they will probably end up being used as pot pipes for these scumbag thieves.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
We think we know the person that broke in and if its who we suspect then all they were doing was looking for a way to get a fix. Sadly @cosmic you are right, nobody other than me or the members of this forum would find any value in my pipesor any pipe, unless they in anyway felt they could smoke weed or something in them. Its more the feeling of violation and the fact that someone takes what someone else has worked for or that someone holds close for some reason because they can or feel like then need it more than who they took it from. Just hits even harder knowing that I dont have the funds at the current time to replace what was taken. Pipes, knives, a lighter I have been wanting for a while that my wife got me for an anniversary gift and my computer. This time of year seems to make people lose there mind with stress and in turn makes them do stupid shit. I checked garbage cans and the street in all directions and I got back a tobacco pouch I made.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Damn, that sucks. Back when I worked at a Department store I had an old guy ("codger", as you might say) in looking for a knife-honing steel. Said somebody walked off with his, that he had bought in Germany (On tour with the Army after WWII, I supposed).
"...And if I ever find the sonuvabitch who did it, I'm going to get into a knife fight with him, and I'm going to win."
I believed him. Some things you just can't replace.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Meantime, a bag of seconds from Missouri Meerschaum and a PM to Shaintiques of the Free Pipe Project are in order, if that's still going.

Status
Not open for further replies.