PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I'm still kinda new to pipe smoking, so I don't know all the terms related to my issue. Anyway, where the stem meets the shank, the connecting hole only matches up halfway. It's vertically out of line. Is this normal, or was this a poorly drilled pipe?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sounds like it is off center . Does the stem match the shank when butted together and look ok ? If so no worries as long as it does not gurgle .

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
My pipe has gurgled with every tobacco I've put in it, except for 1Q. The pipe looks okay from the outside when together, but the shank hole is at the top of the shank, whereas the stem's is perfectly centered. From what you're telling me igloo, it sounds like I wasted $45. Oh well. Live and learn.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Did you buy it new? Get with the seller and see if you can work something out? A poorly made pipe is a poorly made pipe whether you smoked it or not and you should have some recourse.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Yeah it was new. The seller is a nice person, and has been in business for decades. I think it was an honest mistake. I'll visit him in a few days and see if he'll cut me a deal on something.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
$45 is not a lot to spend on a pipe. Sorry, but it sounds like you got what you paid for.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
You can find a decent estate system Pete for $45 (it might require a little clean up) and whether that's a lot or a little is relative to the person spending the money. :D

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am afraid I do not quite understand the meaning here. "Where the stem hole meets the shank hole?" I believe there is a bit of a misunderstanting. "It looks ok when it is together" Are you saying the draught hole is off line in the bowl? Is it to the side or too high? Please clarify. If it is merely off centre, that can be rectified by opening the draught hole a bit.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
In this case, it's easily and completely correctable with a drill and a 5/32" bit, a very small carving gouge, a very small file, or a dremel. You just cut a small "ramp" on the bottom side of the draft hole, literally make the hole a little bigger and make it line up with the stem. It's a good enough trick for Ser Jacopo, it should be a good enough trick on most.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
@nsfisher, I meant that the pipe looks okay when put together, but when you take it apart and look at the draft hole, it is off center. @sasquatch, thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Here's what I was talking about earlier. Don't know how much it'll go up before the close, but I've gotten a couple at around this price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-Near-Mint-PETERSONS-312-System-Standard-Estate-Pipe-Perfect-Peterson-/170879886224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c93c2390
And here's one where someone doesn't know what they have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PETERSON-Donagal-Rocky-221-BURL-Wood-2-Piece-PIPE-/200796167615?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec0625dbf

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Honestly, IMHO, Price has no bearing on a "good pipe". Just sounds like a defect or a seconds type pipe. I would talk to the dealer. If he cant fix it he may offer you a good deal on another pipe in the future....

Status
Not open for further replies.