Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Yes, I know, it sounds crazy but I have come across a pipe that had it's stem glued in the the stummel. And it's a nice Peterson meerschaum ( I can hear the Peterson quality control jokes coming now). My question is, can this be rectified? I believe the glue was your basic old-style glue, as I was able to remove a bit with my fingernail; not the super glue variety. Is there a way to heat the pipe enough to loosen the glue without damaging the pipe? They did a thorough job of it; I can't draw breath through the stem.
Thanks

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Even if you get the stem out, you'll probably need professional attention.
RIC at Briarville has probably seen it all. Despite the name, he does meerschaum too. Give him a call or email.

https://briarville.com/get-started/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to think about the thought processes there. It would wake me up at 3 a.m. Good luck getting it repaired.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, I was totally unaware that it was a meer. WTF? Are you one that thinks meer disintegrates in water?
It really depends on the type of glue- or gunk- as to whether heat or water will be the better solvent. I'd try water first. YMMV.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I tried the water; didn't see the last 2 posts. I hung the pipe in a jar with the water up to where the stem entered the stummel. I was finally able to get the stem out. The tenon was missing and replaced by a wooden dowel, then inserted into the stummel and glued together. That kind of blew me away.

Status
Not open for further replies.