PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010
Southern Maryland...walking through the parking lot of local Walmart, spotted gentleman in a convertible (top down) lighting up a pipe. Called over..."Hey! A pipe smoker...me too." He nodded, waved and gave me the thumbs up.

I travel quite a bit for my job (hence why I rarely post) and if I see a pipe smoker, I try to get their attention and acknowledge the common interest. Not at the stalker level, just a "Right on!...me too." So few of us out there.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I would be inclined to give the thumbs up in solidarity too. Problem is, with the current municipal regulations and near-universal disdain for smoking in general, I've never seen another pipe smoker in the wild. A few cigar smokers, yes. But pipe smokers, nada.

Reactions: Lyle b

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
I walk with my dogs through dog parks and other urban spots puffing on a pipe and find folks are curious, if not forthcoming about reminisces of favorite uncles, long passed grandfathers etc. I've yet to encounter a fellow pipe smoker though....

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well I saw an old couple and the old man looked at my pipe and got this far off dreamy longing look as he gazed at the pipe. Seriously I think if I waved my pipe around in circles he would have moved his head the way a dog does when you wave a treat around..... Then he said honey sorry I couldn't hear you over the traffic. I could tell he was a former pipe smoker.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There are probably lots of pipe smokers out there, hence the number of online sites offering thousands of pipes and blends. I got tired of the grandfather stories and the, "Hey, you smoke a pipe!" intrusions and rarely smoke a pipe in public anymore except for when I'm at work.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
It is quite rare to spot a pipe in the wild but I guess thats what happens when society moves on to more sophisticated and acceptable ways of ingesting nicotine. I mostly smoke out on the back deck. This is where the Europeans are more "live and let live" kind of people, where people can loiter and enjoy those environment without scorn.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Mostly I would like to be left alone when I am smoking a pipe. A pleasant smile or nod of the head is enough. People I actually know excepted of course. Please don't yell at me "I'm a pipe smoker too!". I'd not like that. I'm real quiet like.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Mostly I would like to be left alone when I am smoking a pipe. A pleasant smile or nod of the head is enough. People I actually know excepted of course. Please don't yell at me "I'm a pipe smoker too!". I'd not like that. I'm real quiet like.
Same

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I prefer to be left alone as well. I try not to make it as obvious when I'm at home but my wife notices haha. And I suppose cigarette smokers don't do that.

"Hey I'm a cigarette smoker too!"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not many pipe smokers in the wild in central N.C., mirrored by the fact that there are not many pipes in flea markets and yard sales, etc. This used to be prime cigarette territory. Maybe pipes were more prevalent in the western, more mountainous part of the state. At the pipe shop, you can find pipe smokers, but then they all want to pontificate and hold forth at once, not listen so much. So, okay. The mutual, shared aspect of conversation is not widely understood. Everyone wants to do their stretch at the mic. Every now and then you encounter a group -- not necessarily pipe smokers -- who really expect to pass the conversational ball in a sort of evenhanded rhythmic way, really in the zone, but it's rare.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just spotted a pipe smoker today. He was sitting in the parking lot of my antique store that I frequent almost weekly as we drove past it.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona

Same here. Unless you have some really good aged tobacco you ant to get rid of. Then yell at me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mau1
Status
Not open for further replies.