PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
I was a cigarette smoker up until a few months ago . I have not looked back since quitting. Sadly without even knowing it cigarettes distorted my perception and limited my ability to experience and enjoy tobacco.
Before smoking a pipe and while I was still smoking cigarettes I would smoke cigars . But sadly as a cigarette smoker my mindset was to smoke the cigar like a cigarette but without inhaling. Little did I know at the time , there was so much more to it .
Since learning how to smoke a pipe and to truly enjoy the tastes and relaxing nature of the ritual I applied the same techniques to my cigar smoking. What a noticeable difference! Again , the flavours of the tobacco really hit all the notes .
I am being to think that the one tobacco product most often used , cigarettes , are actually the furthest thing away from what smoking can be .it would also seem that the negativity surrounding cigarettes influences policies in a negative way when it comes to pipe tobacco and cigars . As a person who enjoys tobacco how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
As a person who enjoys tobacco how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?

That ship's already sunk. You just can't educate antis. They'll insist on lumping everything into the same category: the disease of tobacco use.
make-it-stop-gif-9.gif

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
The distinction is clear. Pipe smoking is the about the worst method of getting nicotine from tobacco but the best method of getting flavor. The opposite is true for cigarettes.

Reactions: yanoJL

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I'm sitting here very relaxed with my pipe.

I don't know what cigarettes might do because I could not smoke them. They made me sick!

So, the question, what does a pipe do?

Think of relaxing the mind after a long day of stress.

And I will rest my case on that fact alone.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?
The reality of the world today is that smoking of any kind is, for the most part, not socially acceptable, and I tend to agree with that. Why in the world would I want to subject anyone to something they don't want?
Who really cares if there is a distinction between pipes and cigarettes? Enjoy your pipe in the park, on your porch, in your den, maybe on the stream if you're out fishing or wherever else it does not interfere with anyone that does not want to be subjected to it.
I can't for the life of me understand why so many here feel the need to justify themselves. My missionary days are over.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I don't think it is justifying our selves. I think we are feeling persecuted and treated unfairly. I agree that we shouldn't subject others but we should not be outcast. We have laws were I live that won't allow me to smoke my pipe while enjoying an adult beverage while listing to a band as I sit on a hillside, but I can be subjected to drunks all around me ( not to mention pot smokers).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Drunks? Pot? You are equating pipes to alcohol and weed? That's not going to work in a discussion. Apples to oranges. Two are socially acceptable and one is not.
I smoke cigarettes and pipes. I can discern no difference between the two except the pipe's apparently mystical abilities seem to make me relax, make me smarter, I look more extinguished. er ... distinguished, taller, more attractive, convivial, and so forth. (For those in Loma Linda this paragraph is known as sarcasm.)
There are many different cigarettes with full tobacco flavors. Sorry, "maxsmoke", that you never ran into any. My MCD's are flavorful, not wrapped in chemical laden paper and snuff themselves out when left unattended. Just like pipes!
We smokers simply need to embrace position as social outcasts, get comfortable with the situation, revel in the rebellion.
The carcinogens when tobacco is ignited are the same in cigarettes and pipe blends so, one can't make any health distinction. Pipes maybe less of a health hazard as the carcinogens are not sucked into the lungs but, they are absorbed through the various tissues they pass over.
So, to arrive at a place where pipe smoking is again socially acceptable we have but one choice, wait until the pendulum swings. That's only gong to happen when pigs are required to file flight plans.

Reactions: DeaconPiper

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
@Bassbug one reason I would like to see the distinction made is because of the taxes. I live in Canada and with the insanity taking place up here I can be paying anywhere from 3 to 4 time for a tin of tobacco over what that same tin is going for in the US.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I first took up the pipe it helped me to slow things down and relax. I can't imagine a cigarette doing that, although I guess it might for some. There is also the hobby aspect of it all; the shapes, styles, materials. So I have learned to appreciate that aspect as well.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
maxsmoke,
I live in Canada too. (Toronto) As much as I sympathize about the prices here, there's no distinction between different types of tobacco. A reduction in pipe tobacco taxes would mean the same for cigarettes and cigars and that's never going to happen. We're just too far down that road to make a u turn.
@trouttimes
Around here the regulations for smoking weed (which is legal)are the same as any other kind of smoking. I'm not happy about the social standing of smokers, but the reality is we live in a time and place where we have to accept it. At the end of the day, pipe smokers, just like cigarette smokers are burning tobacco leaves that create smoke. The only difference is that we choose a slower nicotine delivery method with a lower health risk. That's why we need a one hour smoke vs. 5 minutes for a cigarette :)

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I didn't get very upset about the anti-tobacco stuff until I started getting tins with that big, stupid, art-ruining warning crap on the front.

Reactions: DeaconPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipe smoking has taught me that an infinite number of pipes and blends are not too many. Comparatively, I don't have so many, but the principle applies. When the proprietor of my local independent pipe shop sees me studying the wall of pipes, he has asked me if I see anything I like. I quip, I'm looking for something I don't like.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
-laugh- As always, Tom, you make me chuckle. :)
I wish I didn't have to agree with olkofri, but I'm afraid I do; seems we're just all seen as the devil incarnate, & logic be damned. -sgh-
Bill

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Why is everyone so concerned with what others may think?

IMO other people are exactly that. Other people. They do their stuff and I do mine.

And it is my experience that our perception of what others think of us is most often more based on our own prejudices and worries than what they actually think of us. If indeed they think of us at all.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
trouttimes: We all, at sometime or another, have sold ourselves for moneys. Truck drivers, teachers, cops, ditch diggers and everyone else seeking a salary or, a vote are all in the same boat. I, thankfully, no longer need to sell my skills or knowledge. So, you and others are in a tough but, normal circumstance. It all boils down to, "Are your abilities worth the price. How much of your soul and freedoms are you willing to part with to attain your goals?" But, all of us have prostituted our bodies, looks and/or brains for sustenance or other rewards. You aren't alone.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The carcinogens when tobacco is ignited are the same in cigarettes and pipe blends so, one can't make any health distinction.
I've read many times that cigarette "tobacco" contains a lot of additives that aren't tobacco. Dozens. Is this a shibboleth?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Workman, I agree with you, and in a decent world that would work. When people start getting pushy and bitchy with me I'm likely to tell them: "there are only four persons whose opinion of me matters to me: the first Three is God, and the other one ain't you" (unless I'm actually talking to Her, of course).
The concern nowadays, however, is not so much that others won't like us, but that they're trying to, in the words of Bassbug, 'subject others (us) to something we don't want (not being able to smoke)'.

Status
Not open for further replies.