PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Cigarettes are far more addictive. An alcoholic would choose vodka over something more flavourful, the same way nicotine addiction is to cigarettes.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Pipe smoking has taught me that the mason jars are on top of the refrigerator case just above the butter at my favorite grocery store

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Why is everyone so concerned with what others may think?

IMO other people are exactly that. Other people. They do their stuff and I do mine.

And it is my experience that our perception of what others think of us is most often more based on our own prejudices and worries than what they actually think of us. If indeed they think of us at all.
*Applause*
That is a fantastic post!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
As a person who enjoys tobacco how can we change the narrative and insist on a distinction being made between cigarette smoking and tobacco in general?
That ship's already sunk.
There are people who smoke high quality cigarettes in moderation...but they are by my perception a small minority of cigarette smokers.
As for changing the narrative, I have to agree that ship's sunk...just as many other narrative ships on other subjects. Because the narratives are controlled by mass media. And due to the unfortunate realities of human nature, everything tends to fall to the lowest common denominator.
And the social engineers have it down to a science.
serveimagegofhcb5s-600x480.jpg

serveimageb4596g2x.jpg

scottfree

Lurker
Feb 14, 2019
Pipe smoking has taught me that coffee can be even better than it already is. Pipe smoking has taught me that slowing down your talking in a conversation makes you more thoughtful. And pipe smoking has taught me that things have value even though they might not be permanent. Cheers!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I smoked my first stolen from a parent cigarette with a neighbor my age (8 yrs.) behind the hill and by the railroad tracks by our houses. He was the thief, and I the sinner. I got dizzy as heck! It was exciting, and I remember the smells of the tobacco, the match, but not so much any of the taste.
In those days everybody smoked. 1956. 'We' smoked on TV, at work, cooks in the kitchen, cops on the beat, clergy, newscasters, crooners, comedians, cowboys, parents, uncles, aunts, you name it.
So, I got to steal smokes from both parents, and got to taste a few different brands by the time I was in what was then called Jr High.

Filter cigs had become a big marketing thing so of course we ( a bunch of fellow fledgling addicts ) had to try them all.

Tarreyton with the charcoal filter, Kent with the micronite filter, Parliment with the recessed filter, but I found out early that I like best, the unfiltered ones, like Lucky Strike or Camels. I trended toward Luckies because they didn't make me cough like Camels seemed to.
My Grandfather and an Uncle smoked a pipe, but I didn't see them that often. A friend's father down the street smoked a pipe and HIS grandfather who lived with, but I never really paid attention. (woulda, coulda, shoulda!!!!) I saw them regularly and the old guy really enjoyed his pipe. His son in law, smoked Raleigh unfiltered, saved the coupons, and also had a pipe with pops betimes.
By the time I was in H.S. I was a hard core nicotine addict, an addiction that never left.

Over the years, I've quit smoking many times, always to return, after a week or two, after a year (several times), after 5 yrs. ( a couple of times), but always, due to stress, I turn to the nicotine for some sort of respite? Salve? Do I feel guilty? Sure.
I did find that I no longer could tolerate manufactured cigarettes from the corner store and smoked Drum ryo which came with the best papers I've ever used.
The pipe has taught me to enjoy the flavor tobacco and the stimulation of its nicotine without inhaling.

Do I feel guilty? Not as much! :puffpipe:

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That there are people like me out there. The friendships are my most valued lesson from pipe smoking. It took me a long time to find my people and fit in.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
It took me a long time to find my people and fit in.
Amen! I like pipe people for the same reason I like being in the military: it's (by and large) a collection of people with very different backgrounds, but with a similar mindset and a unifying interest. Pipe people manage to be simultaneously more diverse and more similar than the adherents of any other hobby I've had.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for sharing all the stories. I have been on this site and smoking a pipe for about 1 1/2 years. I don't post much, but follow along quite a bit. Pipe Smokinghas taught me to enjoy tobacco without smoking cigarettes - meaning inhaling. I am also an avid cyclist (damn, two expensive hobbies and drummer, oh no 3 expensive hobbies). No disrespect to cigarette smoking I do dig it sometimes. Just not conducive for my lifestyle. ANYWAY, pipe smoking has taught me a new level of enjoying quiet time. I am in sales and constantly talking, juggling projects, designing, handling problems etc... When I get home I have a bowl after dinner and just be. For a type A personality who never used to like "alone time" pipe smoking has given me that needed break.
I also enjoy pipes with my Dad which is really cool. He's a cigar smoker and I never liked cigars much. But, now we can sit and just enjoy some time together when we visit.
Lastly thank you to all the regulars and new people that make this site so fantastic. While I might be a lurker (I think that's correct term, read daily, post rarely) I so enjoy your company and thoughts.
With Gratitude, Jason.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
That some of you old codgers actually know a thing or two about tabacco or more specifically aging and experience. I have founds blends I didn't care for at first get really good with a little age. Maybe my taste change as time goes on,. Maybe I slowed down smoking, maybe I changed, but there are several blends I just didn't like at all a few years ago but was too cheap to throw away so I jared them. Now they are much better! Thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.