PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Ok, so this JUST happened. Not really a legal issue, but defiantly falls under the title of "insanity pipe smokers have to deal with"
I am a long time Star Wars fan, and also a fan of video games....and for those of you who aren't, you need to simply grasp the idea that there is a large online based Star Wars game to be released at the end of the year, which is now about 4 years in the making called Star Wars: The Old Republic. This upcoming weekend I have been invited to test the game (Very Happily!) and in the meantime have gained access to the testing forums. While there I found a thread called "What food will you be eating while testing" which had a hefty 7 pages of people babbling off the nasty, fatty, greasy unhealthy foods they would be over stuffing their faces with while playing the game. I commented that I liked Yogurt. MORE IMPORTANTLY, this got me thinking and I began a thread of my own called "Any TOBACCO pipe smokers testing?" in which I asked what blends people would smoke while testing and what pipes they would be smoking from, after detailing my plans (GL Pease, JKP in a half bent Rattrays)....
I got 5 Replies. 1 "This has nothing to do with testing" 2 "This is a forum for testing, not killing yourself with cancer" 3 "This feels like a loaded thread....Tobacco. Interesting" 4 ----a long reply from another friendly smoker detailing his plans------ 5 ----An ADMINISTRATOR commenting that these threads are for general testing discussion only and that this topic is to be closed for being off topic -----
I DIDN'T EVEN GET A SINGLE PAGE, WHILE FATTY FOODS NOW HAVE 13 PAGES!!!

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
First off, from a fellow gamer and SW fan (aka geek and or nerd) congrats on getting on the beta team for that. I've been reading on that game for years now and I know there are 1000s of people who'd love to be in your shoes. I can't do MMORPGs because, well, I'll never stop playing but I'm definitely looking forward to Skyrim (hooray for single player versions of those games :) 2nd, you might remind those who are giving you the cancer talk that obesity probably contributes to many more health issues and deaths than tobacco every has/will. Sorry, not really on subject. I guess these stone throwers should make sure they aren't in glass houses first.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
You're a lucky fellow alright. The house rules here at home prevent me from smoking and gaming, since we can't smoke in the house. I wonder how that test group would feel about beer?

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Haha, Yea I know all the retorts appropriate for these smoking and health conversations but after having that conversation about 100 times in college, I FINALLY got myself to just stop as people will forever be too dumb to grasp what you mean. Cigarettes don't use the same stuff as pipes? WHA--?!?! You mean you smoked a pipe before and you're not a walking zombie of cancerous death forever doomed to hell...but that doesn't make sense, I was taught in school that all tobacco was pure evil.....
Anyway - they also talked a ton about beer in MANY different of the game testers forums. It's seems normal for any discussion to turn to a reason for someone to post what they plan on drinking for the weekend. Which I'm ok w/ as I plan on having a healthy amount of scotch this weekend, but i do understand the hypocrisy....but again, they never will.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
thats bullshit. you asking if there are any pipe smokers if off topic, but they can ask what people will be eating. congratulations on becoming a tester though

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I'll likely make it threw the rest of my GL Pease Jack Knife Plug. I also have a meridian open, and those two will last the weekend for sure. I'm having a lot of difficulty deciding what to open up next. I think I need to make my way into Chicago and visit Iwan Ries and pick up some more, the tins in my tobacco cabinet seem happy there so I want to let them stay for a while :P

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Ask them what weed they smoke and I bet you would get a bunch of happy gamers responding. Back when I use to do some on line games that is all the chats were about it seemed. I understand the way you feel. My fishing buddy is a huge pot head and last time we were out on my boat I light up my briar and he said," WTF are you smoking?" I handed him the tobacco tin I was carrying and said smell this. He said "wow it smells good even when your smoking it but dude tobacco?" :roll:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
4 ----a long reply from another friendly smoker detailing his plans------
And a new gaming friendship is formed...
I wish I had a shot at KOTOR Online; but alas, between my toddler and my other hobbies I had to give up MMO's, they just eat too much of my time. That game had me itching since I first heard the rumour mill running; but unlike most games that get me excited early, this one is going to release (unlike Gods and Heros: Rome Rising, boo).

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
Such a shame. A smaller man would have run crying to the moderators, but thankfully we're made of sterner stuff. Still, lucky you get to play. And if they wont let you talk about the hobby of the Ubermensch, then we sure will.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Luckily you have this forum to turn to for intelligent discussion of adult topics, undecagon. :wink: Suffice it to say, they'll never know or deserve what they're missing.

Any chance you can send me a KOTOR invite?? :roll: :worship:

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Well, I attempted an experiment on AskReddit on the question "what is one single thing you did that impacted your life the most?" Reddit is very geeky, liberal, and weed friendly. I posted about smoking a pipe and guess what? Down votes! I'm just telling the people on the pipe Reddit to come over here. We're moar betterer.

ferris

Lurker
Oct 6, 2011
I think part of the charm of pipe smoking is it's small underground following. Back in the day my tattoo was a sign of rebellion, now that it is so mainstream I am almost embarrassed by it.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Yea - Pipe Smoking community is a great one. And unfortunately for those asking, BioWare is super strict about everything on testing, so I can not hand out any SW:TOR invites :/
However if all you interested in the game end up playing we should meet up - the rest of my buddies who play are all pipe smokers. If only they would make pipes items that you could equip in your head slot instead of a helmet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.