PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm sure that many of us here remember the late nineties cigar craze.It seemed that the number of cigar smokers increased dramaticlly in a very short time.All of a sudden it became the in thing to smoke cigars.I remember when some cigars were actually in short supply.Of course prices rose with the increased demand.A good many of those new smokers probably didn't stick with it though.I really don't know if the number of cigar smokers is more or less now than before that craze took place. (More I hope) I keep hoping for a pipe smoking craze to hit.Without the short supply,and increased prices of course.I'm trying to do my part.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
I have been trying in my own quiet way to install a pipe craze down here. but a lot of people have the mind set its a previous generations thing! ii have got a few interedted but they balk at the price and then go back to their pack a day habit which is way more expensive and just smells nasty :crazy:

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
We can only hope. I do see an interest in pipe smoking from the twenty-something crowd, but I strongly doubt that there will ever be a craze or boom like what happened with cigars.
Pipes take time and dedication to master, cigars are quick and easy, with no commitment. Not too many people want to take the time to smoke a pipe. They're also viewed as kind of quirky and quaint.
But the rewards are great for those who take the time to experience the pleasures of the pipe. This we all know.
Smoke on.
CACooper

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Over the last few years I've seen more and more young guys (I define "young" as under 30) at pipe shows. Though this is no "boom", I'm hoping it's more of a gradual swell.
Besides, if you remember the cigar boom of the '90s, most of them were poncy little poseurs, types we can do without in the pipe world.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think in this world of personal intensity people are looking for "slow and steady".

That is what pipe smoking offers to those whom desire a respite from the consistent-daily insanity of their lives.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
In my opinion, which aint worth much, but your getting it anyway..... :nana: I am kind of glad its not a craze of Pipe smokers out there like it was with the cigars, as already said most were posers, and this is an exclusive club here no matter the age, we enjoy smoking our pipes not because were cool or its the in thing to do but because of the pure pleasure and sensation the pipe and tobacco we are smoking at that moment gives us. I believe that a lot of that would go by the way side with one of these crazes. Just think about the folks of old, ( I guess I fit to that club now a days) but when you saw the old man or what you thought an old man sitting and smoking his pipe, its a fond memory... with the craze that all fades away....

Nuff said, smoke on you pipe dreamers.... :puffpipe:

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
I kinda feel the same way, I'd rather it not become a "craze" but I still would like it to be acceptable enough where I don't get weird looks for being a young pipe smoker, or at least for people to stop asking if I've got weed in my bowl lol :nana:

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Joe, No worries I still get the occasional weird look, just because it is not as common as it was in the 50-70's, but do not let that deter you, you learn to ignore the un-educated in time....

smokinjoe

Lurker
Jul 22, 2011
haha I appreciate the support, but there is no way it would deter me. It's just too great a thing to stop for that, and with a great community to boot, what's not to love? :D

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I wouldn't call it a craze. More of a resurgence in pipes. Partly fueled by the ungodly high taxes on cigarettes and rolly tobacco.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
With the proliferation of online pipe and pipe tobacco retailers as well as message boards and online resources like pipesmagazine.com and tobaccoreviews.com, I'm pretty sure that we're all part of the craze, whether we're ready to admit it or not.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I'm glad for the increasing pipe awareness. We are overall a polite bunch who just want to be allowed to enjoy our pipes. I do believe it takes a certain counter culture individual to enjoy pipes. The ability to still smoke in spite of the stares and questions requires a spine. If we can avoid a boom status the quality of pipes and people will remain indefinitely.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm with Arthur in that we're seeing a resurgence in the pipe hobby. There isn't a week that I don't see a new pipe smoker enter the B&M to get kitted out. One guy started just 3 months ago and just bught his 5th pipe. None appear to be looking for a "cool" factor but are truly interested in what the hobby has to offer. A welcome trend in my book.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
@tedswearingen: I dig your style and the operation of the company you manage. You are a valued resource and you have my appreciation for developing a staff that is courteous, responsive, and attentive to any requests that I have ever made. I am certain that your people reflect the work ethic and the image of management that leads them.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
All I know is I love the taste of the pipe tobacco and that's the only reason I smoke. I do see what some people are saying with a ressurgence or renaissance in the pipe world. There does seem to be a growing number of "younger" pipe smokers, as already stated under 30 (which includes myself). Like others have stated, I think pipe smoking is a little much of a committment to ever become a craze. It's too expensive, especially now, for the poser fratboys to jump on. Even if it does become a craze it wouldn't bother me... as long as I can still find my favorite blends that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.