PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
It is known that cigarette smoking changes the voice (with the late Leonard Cohen being the greatest example), but what about pipe smoking?
What are your experiences?
Since I started smoking pipes (inhaling), in a short period of time (3 months) my voice became even more different than with just cigarette smoking. It made a difference on my singing.
I'd like to know experiences of those who don't inhale though, since I'm stopping inhaling to enjoy the nuances of flavour more.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm not fooling around, I sing and inhaling pipe smoke for a short period of time really changed my voice (a couple of semitones down). Of course smoking cigarettes for 5 years made a more lasting impact, but considering the short term, pipe smoking was scarier.

I don't know a damned thing about music, but opera stars seem to enjoy smoking pipes to keep their voices from changing or getting stressed, but if you're inhaling it, you might as well be gargling with gasoline. Unfiltered pipe smoke compared to cigarette smoke is napalm compared to a charcoal grill.
pav.jpg

Reactions: TheWhale13

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Unfiltered pipe smoke compared to cigarette smoke is napalm compared to a charcoal grill.
Yes, I've heard it's 20x the nicotine content or something around these lines.
I stopped inhaling a couple of days ago due to a sore throat and the flavors got way better.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Well, if Pavarotti smoked a pipe (and probably didn't inhale) I supposed the voice can remain pristine if you don't draw into your throat/lungs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Basic to pipe smoking, don't inhale. If you must process the smoke further, look into retrohaling, but I don't recommend it either. I don't know how much voice training you've had, and I haven't had any and am only a church pew and beer drinking singer. But voices are individual and some are hugely sensitive. About Leonard Cohen, one of my favorite singer-songwriters, it's difficult to say if his voice was more affected by smoking or age. He extended his career far into his elderly years, much more than most professional singers, and age will change your voice if you don't smoke at all. Anyway, if you are getting a deepening and/or roughening of your voice from smoking, and you value your singing, I'd greatly limit your smoking, and seriously consider quitting. Sometimes you have to make touch choices. Nonetheless, keep that nice Stanwell in case you decide to smoke, even just on special occasions. It's a handsome pipe and a nice possession. At least you don't have racks of pipes yet.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Actions have consequences. You knowingly put poisons in your system, you willingly take the risk. If you are going to obsess on the possible ramifications of smoking I'd suggest you won't get a lot of satisfaction from the pipe. Smokers should embrace the self-indulgence of the "hobby" and be prepared to live (die?) with the possible consequences. Such consequences certainly won't or, shouldn't, come as a surprise. Just relax and enjoy the pipe!
The nicotine isn't the major problem. The carcinogens from the incinerated tobacco are. Two distinctly different items. The carcinogens are absorbed into you system through tissues in you mouth and nose as well as the lungs. Smoking is in and of itself risky behavior. If you are a smoker, you are a risk taker.
Pavorotti's voice, even before the cancer (pancreatic), was far from pristine as he aged. Listen to early recordings and compare them to some later ones. Crooners may be able to go on "forever", singers who constantly stress the muscles? They simply change styles and/or fade away. Or, appear on PBS "begging for dollars" shows.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
mso489, Actually it doesn't affect the kind of music that I sing negatively, it was more of a curiosity.
"Scary" wasn't necessarily an abhorrent thing. So I won't have to quit for those reasons, thank God!
warren, I'm more of a crooner so I don't worry, just wanted to see how the pipe smoking affected you guys.
Interesting stuff about the differences between styles, that's perfectly true.
Indeed it's a risky habit, but well... Living it's a risk isn't it?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Machado:Well, I've been smoking all of my life starting at age of 13 no days off, and today when I almost exclusively do smoke pipes I try to avoid inhaling,I'm noticing inhaling a pipe smoke may start to become a bad habit very easy especially to those individuals who formerly did smoke cigarettes and cigarillos as was the case with undersigned.

Jan 8, 2013
My vocal range has suffered greatly over the last few years. I used to be able to sing great, but recently my voice cracks and even goes out on higher notes. However, I'm not 100% certain it's from smoking. I gave up cigarettes three years ago, and do not inhale with my pipes ( Note: I do vape to stay off the cigarettes when I'm out and about and inhale). The thing is, just like a guitar, the vocal chords are an instrument, that must be tuned, trained, and played often to keep it in check.
When you put brand new strings on a guitar, you have to tune it to key. And then you pull up on those strings stretching them out, and then tune them again, and stretch, and tune again.... until they'll stay in tune. The voice is the same way. A professional vocalist will do the same thing, sort of, with their voice. There are exercises you can do to keep your voice in good shape. If done in public people will avoid you, thinking you're a crazy person... but your voice will thank you. But seriously, if you value your singing, it should be done before singing, and should be done regularly (in your car, at home, someplace people won't call the police thinking your dangerous). I'm sure you can find some great and hilarious examples on Youtube.
All that being said, I don't sing often anymore at all, and can't remember the last time I actually did any vocal exercises or warm ups, and I'm willing to bet that has taken a larger toll on my voice than smoking. But also, it should be noted that smoke does indeed irritate the throat and the vocal chords especially if you inhale.
Something like this may help also.
31OwxwcQckL.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm more of a crooner so I don't worry, just wanted to see how the pipe smoking affected you guys.
You might want to try smoking this stuff:
Cornell & Diehl - Crooner
Although I must advise some caution due to the following observation by Jim Inks:
I'm highly suspicious that Bing smoked this
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/273/cornell-diehl-crooner

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm noticing inhaling a pipe smoke may start to become a bad habit very easy especially to those individuals who formerly did smoke cigarettes and cigarillos as was the case with undersigned.
Glad to know I'm not alone on this one. Being a former cigarette addict makes it a temptation to inhale.
But on the other hand the great flavor of non-inhaled pipe smoke makes it a great deal not to inhale too.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@anthonyrosenthal: In my case, I'm pretty sure it's due to smoking... In the last 6 years my voice has deepened absurdly. I barely use my high range so I don't really worry about it, I'm lucky about that stylistic choice.
@brian64: The name seemed interesting, but when I looked at the ingredients... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.