PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What should people be thinking of buying for the pipe smokers in their lives?
It might make sense to break it down into under $25, under $50, under $100, under $200 and "all the way" categories.
I'm sending everyone to a Wish List on SPC and P&C. On one hand, that's sort of crass and aggressive. On the other, they know that if they pick up a pound of Old Joe Krantz or Irish Flake I'll be very happy.
No more sweaters and ties that looked good on the mannequin, not me!

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I would too derfargin. However, that Savinelli 2015 703KS Christmas pipe is screaming at me. A little Solani Aged Burley Flake No. 656 and some Christmas Cookie from Boswell's to try would make me more than happy. I'll probably end up ordering my own stuff and throwing it in my stocking before hand. That way I can see what my niece does when she finds out Santa brings me pipe tobacco lol.
Deathmetal, I'm buying you this.

th

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
I told the family that this year, because I have so much crap, I only want something I can eat, drink, or smoke.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I told the family that this year, because I have so much crap, I only want something I can eat, drink, or smoke.
This my friend is a brilliant idea!! :clap:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Tyler, that sweater is brilliant. Whether as torture or as a Christmas gift, I can't tell!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think gift certificates are a good bet. Pipe smokers are so specific in what they want that trying to anticipate what would be pleasing almost has to be decided with them in advance. Whereas with a gift certificate, they can find something at that price, or add it to their own investment and use it as an excuse to buy that pipe they've always wanted. I have sent a link to a particular tobacco to family as a gift suggestion, which is nice because they can have it shipped direct and not bother with gift wrapping or shipping. If the price isn't too demanding, that can really please the giver. That's how I was given McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2015 which is aging on my pipe cabinet.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Tyler, that sweater is brilliant. Whether as torture or as a Christmas gift, I can't tell!
It's Brilliant if you wear it correctly. Maybe wear it to a Dimmu Borgir concert and let the mosh pit show how a man wears that sweater.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
:rofl: When the make up and weird faces are gone, I can see them sitting at home next to a fire, wearing that, listening to jazz, sipping a non-alcoholic beer.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Surprisingly very common in extreme metal. Many also listen to classical. The drink of choice appears to be, believe it or not, tea.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Your death metal which evolved from the mid-to-late 1980s to the death metal of today is the equivalent of rock and roll in the 1950s.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
The good metal bands should listen to classical. It improves the craft. Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho playing the guitar is a prime example. As is Dimmu Borgir - Sorgens Kammer.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=S&srch=DS&item=CERTZ
The ultimate gift.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
All I want for the holidays is for my order from Motzek to arrive safe n sound! I pray customs wants the same for me... although it's doubtful.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The good metal bands should listen to classical. It improves the craft.
I think so; it helps the riffs combine to know a bit about themes and structure.
Your death metal which evolved from the mid-to-late 1980s to the death metal of today is the equivalent of rock and roll in the 1950s.
Meaning they're 30 years apart? Death metal has mostly followed the punk model: replaced by a simpler substitute. There are a few bands who still make the old style. The stuff today mostly reminds me more of 80s glam versus 70s independent metal.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I'll just leave this here...

http://bit.ly/PipeGifts
You hit the nail on the head, thanks for bringing this up.
The stuff today mostly reminds me more of 80s glam versus 70s independent metal.

They all got their make-up from KISS THE DEVILS THEMSELVES! Just kidding, also, if I'm not mistaken metal all came about with blues and rock in the 60's clashing.

Death metal has mostly followed the punk model

As with most 80's music they were always trying to push it to the limit (pun intended there) The punk/grunge got tired of being depressed and got angry!
Notice that this topic has become about Christmas and Metal?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Meaning they're 30 years apart? Death metal has mostly followed the punk model: replaced by a simpler substitute. There are a few bands who still make the old style. The stuff today mostly reminds me more of 80s glam versus 70s independent metal.
Actually, what I was referring to was that when rock and roll started becoming popular in the 1950s it faced strong opposition from other more mainstream types of music - like the big band music, lounge music and country. I believe there was more than one preacher who stood at the podium and railed against that "devil-worshipping" rock music.

Status
Not open for further replies.