PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Notice that this topic has become about Christmas and Metal?
Yeah! Pretty interesting combination.
Maybe we need a Death Metal Christmas Album.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
My wife and I have agreed to buy our own gifts this year. The plan is to hand them over to the other person once they arrive so we can open them with the kids. Now I just need to decide which pipe I want for Christmas.

briardan

Lurker
Feb 8, 2015
I might add purchasing gift certificates from local b and m's. I believe the internet distributors make enough throughout the year and the "little guy's" have a difficult time making dues. Sure it may cost a little more, but we need to keep those in business who are progressive toward our kind. Because if shops close their doors, the government will end smoking in establishments and indoor environments. Which means, no more pipe clubs or business owners who will stand up for our rights.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Metal and Christmas go together. Give Metal for Christmas!
Actually, what I was referring to was that when rock and roll started becoming popular in the 1950s it faced strong opposition from other more mainstream types of music - like the big band music, lounge music and country. I believe there was more than one preacher who stood at the podium and railed against that "devil-worshipping" rock music.
I think there's truth in that. Death metal had a different situation because it was tiny, only a few tens of thousands who liked it at all, and everyone else thought we were cracked!
Punk had more of the situation you describe however because it became popular after being basically an art movement. It also had the advantage in that it simplified rock to its core, removing most conventions, which freed up new avenues for exploration.
As with most 80's music they were always trying to push it to the limit (pun intended there) The punk/grunge got tired of being depressed and got angry!
There's truth to this also: it's easy being a rebel, and harder to keep the rebellion moving when the opposition has departed.
Metal and punk both pushed limits, and then had to make a new world out of that space, and faced a new enemy: their own popularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.