PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swampdragon69

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 16, 2019
I have been trying to figure out the difference between a Bulldog and a Rhodesian. I thought that a Bulldog had a diamond shaped stem coming out of the bowl. A Rhodesian has a rounded stem. But I have seen a rounded stem Bulldog on E-bay. Am I wrong? Need to increase my medication? Get new glasses? Am I losing it?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In some circles, a bulldog has to be straight. When bent, with or without that diamond shank, it's a rhodesian. I follow the diamond shank=bulldog, round or oval shape=rhodesian group.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A couple of my favorite shapes. My understanding is the bulldog has a diamond shank and the angle between the top face and bottom is 90 degrees.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ebay sellers call them whatever they like and the lines have definitely blurred between the two. But to me, a Rhodesian has a round shank.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Agreed with above. Most see straight diamond as bulldog, some accept a bent diamond as a bulldog, but anyone calling a round, oval, or other shape shank a bulldog is a heathen. Haha, I kid. Names are just names, only we can attribute a definition to that name.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Diamond shank on bulldog, yes. But don't be surprised at the odd misidentifications of pipe shapes. Lovats and Dublins and many others are slapped on pipes that are not those shapes. Not all pipe sellers, even some pros, are knowledgeable. In fairness, there are many variations on shapes that cause confusion, like rounding the diamond edges on some bulldogs.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I was always under the impression that all of them are in the bulldog family, but the only proper bulldog is the diamond shank variety, with bent round shank being a Rhodesian and straight round shank is a bull moose.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Not according to Loewe :)

18521803-orig.jpg

18521806-orig.jpg

Reactions: renfield
Status
Not open for further replies.