Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Since starting my pipe journey two weeks ago I've been smoking only English blends, but I would like to venture into Virginias and VaPers. I've read that it's a good idea to use a different pipe for these, and that the type of pipe (bowl size and stem length) can affect the experience. If this is true, what are your recommendations for a dedicated pipe, or is this all hogwash?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
While different pipes obviously have different properties, the biggest reason to smoke Virginias in a dedicated pipe is to avoid having their subtler sweet and tangy flavours swamped by the smokiness of latakia. That is certainly not a myth! I've always smoked English or Balkan blends in their own pipes for this reason.
I also think smoking the same blends over and over in a dedicated pipe has a nicer result but that is moreso personal opinion than the objective fact that latakia overwhelms Virginia tobacco.
Usually, I smoke Virginias and Va/Pers in the same pipe - sometimes burley, but not always. Anything smoky like Kentucky tends to get its own pipe and the same goes for aromatics.
I'm sure others with chime in with particular pipe recommendations. I am not a purist on that front - I don't bother with it, nor do I have enough pipes to really comment.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agree. And as to bowl size and configuration, nah. It will make a very marginal difference in actuality, if at all, but if you think it needs to be in a chamber X x Y, then it can make a large difference.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Flakes are better in a tall pipe IMO. Tall as in a regular billiard or dublin type. Because it can take a few lights to get a good burn, and with a wide, shallow chamber it can be difficult.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have two pipes dedicated to VaPers. The larger one, a Stanwell 185 gives an hour (ribbon) to not quite 2 hour (two bullseye flakes) smoke and delivers awesome flavor.
I do find that bowl size and shape can make a difference. My other VaPer pipe, a panel pipe half the size of the 185 is less intense flavor from the same blends, but still good.
More importantly, as others have said, you will appreciate the VaPer flavors more without the influence of Latakia or other strong detractors.
On a good day, a Stanwell can be had for $50 or less new.
jay-roger.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ghosting is the main reason some pipes are dedicated to particular types of blends. Personally I haven't noticed much of a flavor change with regards to pipe styles, but my palette is still a work in progress.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The latakia ghosting can initially overwhelm the subtler Virginia flavors. I prefer small bowls for Virginia flake. For ribbon cut, I don't think it makes a ton of difference but I've found taller, tapered bores to work the best.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We have some real Va -Va/Per experts, so I'd consult their posts first. Partly, it depends how you prep the leaf or blend. If you rub it out or grind it up somewhat, like in a little hand grinder, I tend to find a small pipe does very well with these, for example a Stanwell 32 bulldog, or any similar small/medium pipe, Group 3 or a small 4. Usually even broken up, flake/plug/coin/rope will give a longer smoke so a smaller pipe does well. People who've perfected the fold and stuff packing may like a bigger playground and may like larger pipes. I haven't gotten there yet, but I'd try it for sure.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I don't know what group sizes mean for a pipe, though I have seen that mentioned at times. I'm not sure I've seen it used in any of the pipe descriptions for those I've looked at online (SP, P&C). Is there a good resource for learning about this?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I like small pipes in general for Virginia and VaPer. But I am mostly a flake smoker. The exception is Esoterica Dunbar; that blend shines in a big wide bowl.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The best resource is already at hand. Light it up and get to work!
Look, the truth is you’re going to buy more pipes. Forget about matching a bowl size or shape to a specific genre. The briar decides what it wants to smoke and the only way to really tell is to smoke everything and see if something consistently tastes better in that pipe.
Bowl size is important in a way that isn’t always clear. If you have an internal metronome and have perfect control over your impulse to puff than any pipe is your friend. If, however, you are a regular dude/dudette and puff either fast or deep you will benefit from a larger bowl. In the old days a tabacconist would diagnose your smoking style to help find the right pipe for the way you smoke. Dunhill took this to a high art.
Anyway, when you do go on to buy that next briar keep in mind that every briar block is unique and unpredictable. So llong as the briar is properly seasoned before shaping every block has an equal chance of producing an excellent smoker. Paying more may get you better quality control but it does not impact the block. There is no way to tell which block will ultimately smoke well from one that is a hot mess. Beauty and smoking quality are separate entities.
I smoke mostly va and vaper flakes and have not found a formula to work best though I have tried several.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I prefer smaller pipes for Va/VaPer. I usually fold and stuff, however sometimes lightly rub out into a broken flake. I find smaller pipes concentrate the flavor of a simpler blend like a straight Virginia, but PREFER larger bowls for more complex blends like something with Latakia, orientals, Virginias, and White Burley all mixed in. I think larger bowls allow the different flavors room to inter-play with each other. For group sizes, I generally equate a group 3 with a pipe that is around 5 1/2" long, 1 1/2" tall, with an inner chamber diameter of about 0.70". Groups 4 and 5 will be larger, groups 1 and 2 smaller. It may not be exact, but you get the idea.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I personally prefer a taller, narrower, conical bowl for Virginia or VaPer flakes, and I prefer to fold and stuff. My favourite is probably a 5/8" V shaped bit, usually an inch or a little more in height. I find the smaller surface allows flakes to stay lit better and the conical, narrowing chamber concentrates the flavour. But, that is my preference and even I contradict it sometimes. The best thing to do is try it in pipes until you find the perfect match.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
Thanks to all for the replies!
I just got in a new non-filter Stanwell that looks to have the tallest and slightly narrower bowl than the others in my small (but growing) collection. I think I will dedicate this one to Virginias, so long as I even like them (haven't had a Virginia yet).
I also got in a new MM cob, which I plan to use for trying out aromatics. I have one I ordered by accident a few weeks back - Mac Baren Original Choice. I was taken aback by the smell of it when I first opened the tin, but it seems to be mellowing out a bit.

Reactions: Annaresti Red

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I placed my order yesterday for the first Virginias to try, which includes:
Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia

Dunhill Ye Olde Signe

Dunhill Elizabethan (for a VaPer)

Cornell & Diehl Bright

Cornell & Diehl Red

Peter Stokkebye PS701
I also picked up Cornell & Diehl Burley Ribbon Cut, which I assume will be ok to smoke in my VA dedicated pipe. However, I have not yet selected a pipe for this testing. The four pipes I currently own are already dedicated to other blends - two for English, one for Lakelands, and my cob for aromatics.
I have my eye on several pipes with thicker, narrow (0.7), deep (1.6 to 1.8) bowls. I understand the Virginias will potentially burn hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.