PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Of course I rotate, a bowl is best from a well rested and dry pipe. I don't have a set order but any pipe gets to rest at least 3 to 4 days.
If I get a new pipe it will be smoked more as it is now the "favorite". But even then I let the pipe rest at least a day between smokes.
I think pipes are individuals and you can usually tell when a pipe needs to be let alone for a while.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
In all honesty, no i dont i decide what i want to smoke out of and go for it. As i have a small collection the choice is somewhat taken away from me. sometimes i will smoke the same pipe all day(though i do let it rest between smokes) and some days i might not.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I do rotate in that I don't usually smoke the same pipe twice in a row, but I often smoke the same couple pipes through out the day.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Ive been traveling for work the last server months, but I still rotate between the 4 to 6 pipes I bring. It helps with a sweeter smoke if you let them rest a bit. That being said I might smoke one pipe for a couple days in a row, but I will let it rest for the same amount of days that I smoked it.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I have about a dozen pipes and I pretty much just grab whatever one catches my eye at that time. I try to let them rest but if its the one well then its the one. :puffy:

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
It has taken me several months, but I now have a vast collection of seven briars, and a couple of cobs. I usually smoke only one bowl a day, but when I smoke more I use a second pipe. I also do not smoke the same pipe two days in a row. Beyond that I smoke whichever pipe I feel like. It sometimes depends on which tobacco I want to smoke.

So each pipe rests between two days and a week between smokes.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I recently changed the way I rotate my pipes. Before, I smoked each one once a day. Now I pick a couple of pipes (One large and one smaller) and smoke them all day. They then get left for a couple of days.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Well as I'm still a greenhorn, I only have a few pipes, and I like to smoke them so it's hard for me to let them rest for 24hrs but I do.
I have a Brigham, Blatter & Blatter and a cob. I'm trying to rotate the two briars so I smoke one a day, and the cob is whenever I just want to have a bowl.
I have another cob on the way, so that'll get added somewhere.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I always thought meers needed more rest than briars since the material is more porous. I could be wrong.

Jul 15, 2011
I dont really have a set rotation either. I have certain pipes that take certain cuts of tobacco better, for instance, my Uncle Arthur pipe is particular to flakes, and I have a gigantic Irish Seconds that is partial to ribbon cut. Ill smoke the pipe best on which cut I want to smoke and which pipe will work best with it. As much as I smoke, my pipes almost always get rest for 24 hours before I smoke them again, which, I think, is really all they need.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Well having been inspired by the wise ones here, I decided it was not prudent to smoke any particular pipe more than once a day and thereafter to provide it with a full week's rest after its ordeal (the 7 day rest period being my justification expansion on their "couple or few days" rest routine).
On that basis, after doing the math, it would appear that I require a minimum of no less than 35 pipes for my rotation, and I'm working on it! I use this explanation to friends and family who cannot understand that one pipe is not sufficient, two pipes is an overkill, and, three, well that's just sheer gluttony and madness. It has been stated that any more than three is "fit for committal to an asylum, so if I take a holiday you'll know where I've gone! Wonders if it still requires 3 x signatures to summons the men in white coats bearing straight-jackets?

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I'll usually pick out a couple and smoke them all day, and then give them a day or two off. There are times however that I have smoked the same pipe several days in a row.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
I rotate my pipes but i find that certain pipes seem to leen better towards

a particular blend i only use peterson tobacco is there any particular reason why

say luxury blend is a better flavour in my DR PLUMB as to if i use a savanelli

pipe

david (SCOTLAND)

ps/i use 4 different brands of peterson brands

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I'll pick a pipe, smoke it for the day, then put it in the "to clean" pile. When the pile gets too big I do a cleaning session, let them rest and then put them back in the rack for another go around. Have a few pipes and sometimes the cleaning pile gets to a dozen or so, but it is nice to always have a fresh start for the day.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I maintain a pretty strict rotation - actually, twin rotation, because I have a latakia rotation and a va/burley rotation.

I smoke no more than two bowls, over two days, in a pipe. Then I let it rest for 10-14 days. :puffy:

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
well i got 5 pipe racks and two shelf's filled with pipes.

just grab a different one each day and go. :laughat: :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.