PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I have almost 200 pipes in my collection - so rotation is just a fact of life. Like baskerville I just pick up a pipe and smoke it. One way to choose a pipe is to sniff the bowl - if smells wet or funky - let it dry out for a while longer. A pipey smell might indicate that it needs to rest more - a real funky smell - means you need to clean your pipe - with some alcohol and pipe cleaners - then let it rest.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I have almost 200 pipes in my collection - so rotation is just a fact of life. Like baskerville I just pick up a pipe and smoke it. One way to choose a pipe is to sniff the bowl - if smells wet or funky - let it dry out for a while longer. A pipey smell might indicate that it needs to rest more - a real funky smell - means you need to clean your pipe - with some alcohol and pipe cleaners - then let it rest.
Hey, you're back. :clap: WOW 8O 200 pipes? Can I be put in your Last Will & Testament? :worship:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
When I get home from work, the 5 or 6 pipes I had on the rig get cleaned and put away, then I pull out a random pipe for each smoke I have the first day home. Those are my pipes for the week, then rinse and repeat for the next week with another random set. I have one or two that I favor, so those might see more use than the others. 61 pipes and counting, lol.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have between 80 and 90 pipes divided up on various racks by country of origin (yes, WAY too organized). For the last year or so I've been mostly collecting pipes by North American carvers, so those are the pipes I've been going to lately.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I currently have 10 pipes in the collection and have a rotation of sorts, although not strict. I typically won't smoke a pipe more than one day in a row, but typically smoke two bowls. My Ferndown has pretty much become my Sunday pipe, as it hangs just right for reading the morning paper (and is too big to travel).

A new pipe gets broken in over 4-5 days, than rested.
I'm pretty good at regular cleaning after use. They always get a cleaner through them and a paper towel wipe to keep the cake minimal.
As a frequent traveler, pipes that fit in my single bag get the most use and I tend to look at pipes in that size. I travel with three things - my pillow, pipe and a book. It's pretty comforting to have an old friend along for an overnight. My largeish suitcase always draws comments from colleagues until they see my pillow takes up 90% of the room. I do have a multiple pipe bag, but just use that for vacations.

dubinthedam

Lurker
May 18, 2009
Amsterdam
I have about 70 plus, and I smoke about 50 of those regular. To be honest I really couldn't manage with anything less than 25 pipes and I mainly smoke one blend of VA.

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I think people get carried away with all of the resting. The old pipers had a couple pipes if they were lucky and smoked them until it was time for a new one. The pipe is just a tool to enjoying the baccy. I would not smoke 10 pipes a day for a week straight but I don't care I just get what pipe and tobacco I fell like smoking at that time and sit down and enjoy it does not matter if I just smoke it once twice or five times a day for the last three days or not.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
jship, you could be right about getting carried away with resting pipes. But when you have more than a certain number of pipes, "resting" just takes care of itself.
I do disagree that "The pipe is just a tool", or at least some pipes are.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I think if the pipe is of better or best quality, you can smoke it more often. The cheaper the pipe, the more careful you need to be. Just my mentality, but I'm a noob, so what do I know.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
I think people get carried away with all of the resting. The old pipers had a couple pipes if they were lucky and smoked them until it was time for a new one. The pipe is just a tool to enjoying the baccy. I would not smoke 10 pipes a day for a week straight but I don't care I just get what pipe and tobacco I fell like smoking at that time and sit down and enjoy it does not matter if I just smoke it once twice or five times a day for the last three days or not.
agreed

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I have around 30 pipes but only 14 or 15 that get smoked on a regular basis. I don't have a set rotation but usually don't smoke a pipe more than once a day. I've never had a pipe go sour on me but I think a big factor in that is that I clean them after every smoke with a cleaner with the tip soaked in Everclear. Some pipes in my collection do seem to need a bit more rest. For instance, my Bing's Favorite with its' thin walls heats up pretty easily and retains that heat longer after the smoke. My Jan Zeman, on the other hand, thrives on smoking. So does my A.N.D. meer and my Savinelli Duca Carlo. I agree with what has been said about the old timers. Many of them had only one pipe and smoked it all day long.
Smokey

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I used to know a lot of old farmers who all had one pipe that they smoked every day. However, those were some pretty rancid pipes. Hazmat stuff, or so it seemed.
After Christmas I shall have six cobs and two briars. I do plan to give the briars some rest to insure longevity but I doubt that I will ever have a regular rotation. For me, my pipes really are just tools for burning baccy, only because I choose to be afflicted with TAD rather than PAD. That may change if my agent sells the latest novel. :)
Some of the beauties I've been looking at would never be considered "just tools" by anyone, but Petes and cobs do not a 'collection' make.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
I choose two pipes for the day and the next morning I sweeten them with rum. I only try to make sure they rest for at least a day but it is usually a few days. I have no rhyme nor reason as to why, it worked out that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.