PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I smoke my grabow lark just about everyday,if im home i'll pull a different 1 everytime i fire up.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have about 5 regular pipes that i rotate so its rare if i smoke the same pipe twice, and if i feel like a second bowl i use a second pipe.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I usually just grab the pipe that grabs my attention but i do have pipes for different types of tobacco.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I think pipes are individuals and you can usually tell when a pipe needs to be let alone for a while.
+1

I'll smoke one most of the day,I have 18 that I use so drying is no big thing for Me.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I'm a cob guy and I usually load up a few and put a cut down wine cork in the end so the tobacco won't fall out. I'll take two or three with me when I go out for the day usually with a different blend in each. If I get half through and put one down I might stuff it full again without emptying or do two bowls in a row in the same cob. Doesn't seem to make a difference.. for cobs anyway.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Personally i pick one pipe a day, ive been told m=by my pipe mentors that it doenst matter how many times a day you smoke a pipe, it is how many days in a row, what i understand is that you go no more than two days in a row, and you let it reast about 12 hours per bowl smoked at minimum, preferably 24 hours per bowl smoked

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have a couple that stay within reach to smoke when I feel like it.

I'll also grab a couple-three off the rack and put them in my three pipe holder and smoke them for a few days.

Then I'll put those back and grab a couple-three more and smoke them for a few days... ad infinitum.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I'm not sure about this whole resting/rotating thing, my grandfather smoked the same 2 pipes everyday for as long as I can remember. One was his "inside" pipe and the other for outside. He didn't seem to have any problems. I think its a matter of choice. :puffy:

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't have a set rotation, but I'll let one alone for awhile if I did a serious cleaning on it (with everclear etc. as opposed to just running a cleaner through). I typically smoke the same pipe every day at work and pick from the others when I'm home. IfI'm just sitting around I'll use the meer. If I'm walking, I'll pick one that I'm comfortable clenching and doesn't take so long to smoke.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
No, I don't have any regular rotation. Sometimes I smoke the same pipe all day long, sometimes I smoke several different ones. I do have certain pipes that get smoked a lot more often than some others, but they all get smoked sooner or later. I just grab whichever pipe I feel like smoking at the time.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
No rotation here. Although, my pipes get at least a day of rest between smokes. Other than that, it's whichever one suits my fancy depending on what I feel like smoking and how much time I have to smoke.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have 7 pipes. Would work welll for one a day, but often turns into these three today. Then tomorrow, since I really like A and B I'll swap C for D and keep A and B. The next day might be A, B, and E. Eventually I'll let my favorites rest a day or two, but out of my seven its clear which one collect dust vs. which collect cake!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have about 15 pipes. I smoke about 7 of them.
All my regular smokers are straight, other than a bent aldo.
Half my smokers are "heavy" pipes, the rest are "light". This is purely a personal distinction. A heavy is for English, a light is for aromatic. Typically 1q Or BCA.
That is my rotation. I smoke whatever pipe catches my eye for that smokes blend. I try not to smoke a "wet" pipe, and the all get cleaned about once a week. Otherwise, no cleaning other than removing dottle and blowing out the bowl.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I have put all my pipes in an Excel spread sheet and as I smoke them I add a new cell for the date/time. Then I do a custom built bit of VB code to determine the least smoked pipe compared to my input of tobacco smoked in them as not to get a pipe that will ghost an old tobacco. Then I compare this to another spread sheet of the least smoked tobaccos and choose the tobacco and pipe for each bowl. OK, not true, I just grab what fancy's me.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I currently have 21 pipes entrusted to my care. I occasionally smoke the same one two days in a row out of sheer laziness, but generally clean yesterday's pipe thoroughly each morning and choose another based on bowl size vs. available smoking hours. Sometimes I choose one based on style. My rule of thumb is "one day of rest for each bowl smoked the day before". This rule, as most pipe rules, is flexible.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have put all my pipes in an Excel spread sheet and...

Then tomorrow, since I really like A and B I'll swap C for D and keep A and B.

on a three day rotation (6 pipes) and I have 5 different (6) pipe rotations.

The next day might be A, B, and E.

I'll also grab a couple-three off the rack and... Then I'll put those back...

Then I compare this to another spread sheet of...

Some assembly may be required.
Do we have a plan B?!? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.