PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I am still a newbie and I have 2 pipes I like to use.I smoke quite a few bowls a day 5-6.I read and hear pipe smokers talk about letting the pipe rest for a considerable amount of time before lighting it up again.I always clean my bowl when I am done or let my pipe cool off for a later smoke if there is half a bowl left.I do not have enough pipes to let them rest.I like to smoke them.I variate according to what I like to smoke.One of my pipes is for English blends and the other for Virginias and aromatics.I do not have enough pipes to avoid ghosting and not enough pipes to let them rest through a rotation.Am I missing out on something good?Am I shortenig the life of my pipes by not letting them rest long enough?I am trying to get a few more pipes together but I do not think I am organized enough and I smoke to often to let them rest.Could someone maybe share their experiences with not letting their pipes rest or maybe help explain why pipe resting is important thank you for your input.
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have one pipe that I wasn't resting enough. It definitely reached a point where it smoked poorly. I don't know for sure, but even after resting it for a week, it still performs poorly compared to it's well rested days.
It's always best to rest - but as always, your mileage may vary. I've heard of old timers who would smoke the heck out of one pipe and never worry about it. you may want to consider adding some cobs to the rotation.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Thank You,So I guess it does have something to do with the perfomance of the pipe.My next pipe is going to have a very large bowl and a session will last at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours,maybe I will not smoke so many bowls if I have longer lasting sessions.

Aug 14, 2012
A pipe is like a baseball pitcher. 4 days of rest between use is best. You won't ruin the pipe by oversmoking it, but you will ruin the smokes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
So I guess it does have something to do with the perfomance of the pipe
The main reason is to allow the briar to dry properly. There's been some argument on this point, but briar being a natural wood product will absorb moisture. It eventually gives a sour rather than sweet taste.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Some rest is good. Get a few cobs to expand your rotation. Your pipes need to dry out.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
+1 on the cobs. I only have 22 briar pipes but have 2 cobs that I use for short smokes, new tobacco that I have never tried, or when I get lazy and don't feel like cleaning a pipe. At under $10 per you can pick up 5 and that will give you the ability to smoke your briars when you want a good, long smoke and allow them a proper 4-5 days rest but still have pipes to enjoy your daily smokes.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
My pipes like to have a nap in the afternoon.

restingpipes.jpg

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
My pipes like to have a nap in the afternoon.
I did that once with two of my pipes and I ended up with three little ones the following day!

I suppose that was my fault as I forgot to place a rubber pipe bit protector on one of them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Resting pipes is good. Also it is a comforting excuse to have way too many pipes. All mine are rested and

then re-rested. Usually, I can't remember the last time I smoked the one I'm packing.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I'm not an old timer, but I do follow their way of thinking in the sense that I don't believe in resting your pipes. If you have a good quality pipe, (good briar, well constructed etc.) the pipe should perform well no matter if you smoke it everyday or once a week. When I was starting out I only had two pipes as well and I smoked them back to back to back days and some times several times a day. I've still got them and I've never noticed any issues with the pipes. Of course now I have well over 20 pipes so I have plenty of pipes to choose from but if I want to smoke the same pipe multiple times in a day I will, or will smoke it on back to back days if I choose to.
If the pipe is a good quality pipe; you would need to smoke it multiple times a day everyday for an extended period of time (for example 1 year) and eventually you would see some signs of wear and tear. Yes, eventually you could damage the pipe, but it would take a lot of smokes for that extended period of time. I'm sure you'll pick up a few pipes down the road if you remain in the hobby. Like a few others mentioned... get a few cobs they're great and they're perfect for letting your other pipes rest if you choose to do that.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Phil you made me laugh, loved it. The pipe thing is depending on the briar, good briar that smokes dry you can smoke the fire out of it, use pipe cleaners they are cheap, keep it dry. Some pipes not so much, I have one pipe I look at it and moisture pours out of it, got rid of that Boger, wish I would have kept it as we are in a dry spell here, crops need it. Buy a Meer, also, it can do yomen duty as briar rests.

Status
Not open for further replies.