Pipe Removed from Van Gogh Statue

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

briarfriar

Nov 12, 2012
Not legislation, but the relentless hand of stupidity nonetheless. And in Brixton!
https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/van-gogh-statue-brixton

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Next thing y'know they'll remove the pipe from Frosty The Snowman and Santa images,

maybe even smoking references in literature.

trouttimes

Preferred Member
Nov 26, 2018
Going to do a drug deal, let's see, drugs, check, gun, check, pipe and lighter, check.

I think it fits.

autumnfog

Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
They've done the same thing in France, there was an exhibition on Jean-Paul Sartre and they removed his cigarette from ad posters.
Another example a couple of years ago.

Mr Hulot's pipe removed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-pipe/mr-hulots-pipe-censored-by-paris-metro-idUSTRE53G5CA20090417
This isn't just about a pipe being removed.

In a wider perspecitve they are erasing uncomfortable phenomena from history which is endlessly stupid.

We can't adjust history to better suit the political correctness of our times.

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
“Concerns over these objects show the power they still have and help convey the reality of the suffering that Van Gogh endured”

Ohhhhh brother :roll:
Exactly! Hence the reason that we marvel at his work. Do you think he would be the same man if it were not for his demons? He created art that is what it is because he was who he was. Those items were not just random objects that condone violence, but pieces of his past that were a part of what made him. I don't know much about the man, but I'm pretty sure the issues he had led to the creation of the works he did as a sort of therapy to get his mind off the issues that drove him to eventually shoot himself. Only after his death was he realized as the artist "where discourses on madness and creativity converge".
Why don't we teach things anymore instead of automatically determining something is bad and just trying to scrub it from history? It's happening to all sorts of other things and I have to turn a blind eye because I'll get, what's the term they use these days....."triggered"....but my idea of triggered is way different than theirs.

sablebrush52

Preferred Member
Jun 15, 2013
The artist chose to self-censor and it's unclear who brought up the association with drugs, etc. The council did not demand the changes, but certainly encouraged it.
Personally, I like the result better without the clutter.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
“The Hackford Road area is lovely, but the pipe, razor and gun could nevertheless be seen as a concern in a city where there is a high incidence of these crimes”
So the pipe is illegal?

warren

Preferred Member
Sep 13, 2013
It's so easy to blame the politician, not the electors I suppose. Politicians nearly always address the "easy" stuff, less exposure I suppose. But, blaming them lets the voters off the hook.

bnichols23

Preferred Member
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Going to do a drug deal, let's see, drugs, check, gun, check, pipe and lighter, check.

I think it fits.
Sounds legit.
And Hap, BTW, I'm with you. Anybody who'd even THINK about comparing the two things is even sicker in the head than the artist was....

olkofri

Preferred Member
Sep 9, 2017
Never cared for van Gogh, but his paintings are sublime compared to all this ubiquitous, pandemic sinistrae revisionism.

saltedplug

Preferred Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hared to get stirred by the permutations of pop culture propounded by stupid people.

wyfbane

Preferred Member
Apr 26, 2013
You could give them one, but not two. Lol
This is a case of a vocal group petitioning until the politician has decided this is low hanging fruit. It does fall to the politician to decide whether this vocal group represented a majority of constituents and whether it is then action worthy.