PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, so I have some how amassed 7 pipes in the last two months, lol. Now it's time for me to buy some tools - so what is a quality pipe reamer that is in the medium range in pricing?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm in the same boat and have been looking at the Senior Reamer on ebay. I'm looking at ebay since prices are significantly cheaper than my local B & M and better than most e-tailer prices.
Let us know what you go with.
-Jason

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I would recommend two. The Senior Reamer for taper drilled bowls and the Pip-net for cylinderically drilled bowls.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
At some point I am going to have to buy one of these as well but I am hoping by keeping my pipes clean to start with, I don't allow too much of a cake to buildup, I won't have to purchase a reamer for a while. :?

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
All I've ever used is a pocket knife and a very old SWR Pipe Reamer. The way I smoke my pipes doesn't contribute to much cake building to start with. It's all good.

Now, What I hate is buying an estate pipe with so much cake you can't even get a pipe clearer down inside to the bottom of the bowl. Always makes me wonder wth is going on with this prior owner???? How does that work anyways?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'll second the Senior Reamer which runs about $25-$30 retail. The neat thing about it is that it also has a tool in the handle that you can unscrew and use for opening the air hole if there is blockage. I think it is a "must have" for estate pipes especially.

Do use with extreme care.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I'm well aquainted with the Senior Pipe Reamer. I've used one for years and mine is an early one from the 1950s. It's just like the current ones except you can tell the quality of construction is better. These reamers work well.
I addressed the issue of reaming in an earlier post. If you missed it you might want to take a look. Hope it is of some use.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/serious-pipe-reaming

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
For me, the Savinelli Fits-all Reamer takes the prize. It's

simple and doesn't require a lot of skill to use. It doesn't

put a lot of stress on the Block, so I use it on my Meerschaums.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330507798061?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=191900427553&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=WVI7&GUID=3a05c88912d0a03661a32c63ff79a804&itemid=330507798061&ff4=263602_304662

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I just got the Castleford Reamer Set off the eBay and it works GREAT!. It's the one with four progressively larger sizes and a nice thick handle for torque.

Can't recommend it enough.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I've only used the Senior Reamer,....(that name kills me)...and an old switch-blade I've had for years, so it would be the only one I can recommend.

Senior Reamer has yet to put even the slightest gouge in any of the dozens of estate bowls I've cleaned out, removing all of the former owner’s cake all the way to the bare briar.

The knife however, dull as it is and only used outside in full sunlight…..I would not recommend.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
When I received my samples from Sterling Tobacco Company there was a flyer

advertising the "Senior Pipe-Reamer" for $17.50 fwiw.

pappy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2011
I just got a Castleford Reamer at my local B&M. I really like it. I wanted a Senior but since all the stores here are either cigar stores or head shops my choice was very limited and I was very happily surprised to find the Castleford at the one shop that gives pipes almost as much attention as the cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.