PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
My preference is for bent pipes (any degree) and most of the pipe racks that I have do not accommodate these pipes. Usually I cannot get the stem into the hole without the bowl getting stuck. The only one that I have that works has grooves for the stem and not holes. But the pipes tend to fall out; a 3 row pipe rack of this sort usually provides a landslide of pipes if one on the top row falls out. Any suggestions about racks that might work better for bent pipes? Not that I don't like the pipes just lying on my desk for me to gaze lovingly at; it all about economy of space.

Jan 8, 2013
I have a hard time getting my bents on the bottom row of my rack as well.However I've found they fit quite nicely if i put them in backward with the chamber facing away from me rather than toward.Give that a try and see if it helps.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I guess one solution for this would be to buy a used rack and cut slits in the hole for the stems so you can just slip them in. I have the same issue with bents. I'll have to search for a cheap used rack and experiment.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just place the bents that don't fit the regular way stem down. Eventually I'm going to make some racks that have more space between the two main horizontal boards. I have some walnut from a tree my dad and I cut about 30 years ago. 8)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I got this one from SPC a few years ago, and have had no issue with bents falling out.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15389

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three pipe racks and a cabinet, and although it requires a little bit of body English, I can thread the bent

pipes into all of them. And they are all distinct in their design. I have a round rack with an amber tobacco jar

in the middle (family heirloom from gramps then dad), a Two Cousins custom built rack, an open freestanding

rack, and a cabinet for thirty six pipes. In each case, with a little angling and adjusting, the bent pipes will

go into the racks and stay. Some are easier than others, but they all work. About 2/3 of my stable have at least

some bend in the shank and stem.

My name was mentioned, and I'm flattered. But. I make pipe bands and tamps occasionally, but no racks. I wish I had the woodworking equipment to do that though. I am mostly set up for metalwork and stone cutting. I do have a lathe, but that doesn't help.
I hate those racks with a hole in them too. I have my racks made by a local woodworker, and I love mine. The top row is open, so that my wardens fit, and the rest are angled slightly to the side to show off the profile of the pipes with an open slot for the stem. I don't know why pipe rack makers use them damned holes. Most of my collection is 7" dublins with a slight bend, and I had to just chunk my first rack, because of the holes. Taking a pipe out or racking it was a chore.
That picture of the round rack is a beaut!
I would post my woodworker friends email or something, because he made my racks cheap and with a lot of detail work. But, he is old school, and he doesn't know anything about computers. He still uses hand tools for most of what he does with better efficiency and precision than younger guys with power tools.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had the same problem several years ago. I learned that old Fairfax or Decatur racks are readily available on Ebay. I just tape the top, draw some saw lines and cut the O-shapes into U-shapes. I rub a little matching stain into the cuts and they work fine. My cabinet holds three Faifax racks, so I eventually bought and modified nine racks. Typically, you can get them delivered for around $20. Check Etsy as well.
As purchased:

Fairfax_6_Pipe_Rack_zpsc5a2fb66.jpg

Modified:
Fairfax_6_Pipe_Rack_Modified_zpscd98908a.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not really. I clamp the base of the stand to my work bench. I tape off the end with the holes. I just a small t-square to mark off the cut lines. I use a small jigsaw with a fine-tooth blade. I suppose it could be done with a coping saw or the like by hand as well.
These chubby 9438's are a little tight, but even they fit in the new slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.