Pipe Mud and Pipe Cement (WARNING: GIANT POST)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I have a briar block I have been working into my first homemade pipe. All was going well until I discovered a small fissure in the side of the bowl. From a cosmetics point of view, it is just some character added to the briar. From a functional point of view, I'm thinking "What a disaster!"
All that work I spent shaping and sanding only to find my new pipe has a hole in the side of the bowl!
It is a very small passageway that I was not sure even went all the way through the wall. After inspection with an extremely bright LED flashlight aimed into the bowl, I could see a teeny tiny pinhole of light when I turned it to just the right angle.
Being a stubborn mule I set out to google the crap outta my predicament. Not finding very many solutions that sounded like they would provide a lasting solution I stumbled on this Pipe Mud article. I was intrigued. I am going to mix up some pipe cement and fill this little fissure from the inside of the bowl. Next, I'm going to mix some briar dust and glue to fill in the outside of the fissure.
Why am I spending so much effort on this?
  1. See "stubborn mule" above.
  2. Because I can.
Thanks for the article!
I am inspired and ready to make this work.

View attachment 14065
You're on the right track!

Reactions: aspiring_sage
Status
Not open for further replies.