PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
This may have already been asked, but what is a good lighter that doesn't run dry of fuel too quick. I have both a flint and electronic which is the 1 that requires refilling more often than not.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I fill my zippo every 10 days or so, and a bic lasts me a good 4-5 months.

812a0bcc.jpg

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Hi marmalade i did have a brass zipo once but now can't find it anywhere must have lost it somewhere shame as it was one given to me when i 1st started smoking pipe about 20 years ago but gave up before restarting it is in this time it has gone missing. I suppose i'll have to invest in another 1.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I have a few Zippos, you can never go wrong with them! To keep them full as long as possible, don't keep them in your pockets, and keep them upright as much as possible! Pleased to make your acquaintance Mr. Smoker, sir!

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Marma14de: My pocket carries what yours does minus the pink rope. I always depend upon my zippo but also my BIC backup. I also use the BIC to relight deeeeep into my oom pauls as I tamp waaaay down toward the bottom of the bowl for the last best relight.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
That is my outside bic, it's secured to my patio furniture by about 700 half hitches, and secured to the lighter with simple whipping, makes sure there is always a lighter when I need one!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I'm not a Zippo fan. Love the history, hate the taste.
I just ordered one of these Fujima Arroa Soft Flame.
That is a GREAT lighter site because it has videos of most of the lights and free shipping.
ETA: Love the mini-marlinspike work marmal4de

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
There is a BIC-like lighter called the sidewinder (I believe). It looks like a BIC, but it has a an adjustable nozzle on it that goes from a right angle to straight up. And I believe it is refillable. And they are less that $2. But they are hard to find.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
What is this myth about the taste of Zippo fluid? I have been using the black can of Zippo fluid and do not detect any significant taste. Perhaps other brands have the despised taste.

I'm pretty sure the sidewinder is out of production. It may have been dubinthedam that reviewed them a year or so ago. They did seem to be excellent but I have never seen one. Anyway they don't seem to be available online. I think there is a similar one that is more expensive that goes by the same name.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I know a lot of guys are very content with Zippos and don't detect any taste. To be honest, maybe what I get isn't really taste but smell. But they're pretty closely related. So the sensation for me is that I'm tasting a hydrocarbon.
It's a shame, because it is the classic American lighter, they are super wind resistant, the flame temp is perfect for pipes, and I have the one my Dad carried in the war. I'd love to use it, but just cannot.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I get no taste from My zippo just smell, but I like the smell. Where can I find a pipe insert for My zippo?

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
I went out and bought a zippo pipe lighter and so far i love it. on my cheaper pipe it works great, but i can't draw hard enough on my newest pipe to get the flame drawn down to re-light it. other than that, it works good, and using that i actually have to re-light less!

i did however run out of fuel in 3 days lol
i'm also thinking of taking it to an engraver and getting the little pipe etched on the opposite side, and on the top instead

zippo-pipe-lighter-black-matte~1592089.jpg

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I don't care for my zippo for lighting my pipes. I used to use a Colibri, but have learned that their quality isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Recently, got a Vector Dupla pipe lighter that also has a cigar torch lighter in it. Great pipe so far. After using mine, ended up getting Cyndi one as well. I tried a different shape, but she didn't like it as much as mine.
Here's a link for them if interested.

Vector Dupla lighters on lightersdirect.com

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I primarily use a Xikar Pipeline... it works wonders, and looks just like the Corona old boys but a 3rd of the price! And with lifetime guarantee!

bubblehead

Might Stick Around
May 26, 2011
At home I use the Old Boy I broke down and purchased and it's a great lighter, but not outside; for that I use my brass zippo, or for nostalgia sake I'll use the old Nimrod I got for Christmas more years than I care to remember.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
lol, anyone ever notice BIC lighters are made in france?!
also, i had someone tell me the other day my zippo fuel was poisonous and it would kill me using it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.