PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It was mentioned in another thread about the Linkman's factory still standing, and I thought I would put together a little "then and now" of some pipe factories I could find.
Here's an old drawing of the Linkman factory in Chicago from 1937:

300px-Linkmans_Chicago_1937.jpg

Here it is now, a library and offices

screenshot_20190701-170323-600x375.jpg

Anyone have addresses of these old factories? The ads I've found on Google are a little too blurry.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Not sure the exact era or which factory (Gubbels maybe) but a reasonably modern picture given the clothing and the fact that everything is electric (in the old days the tools were driven by gigantic belts and there were women in big puffy skirts standing right next to these big man-eating things... crazy).
But this is essentially what pipe making looks like in every big shop - station-specific tasks, carried out 47 times a day by each person.
SxzBwAN.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
And notice again, women, over 50% of the staff. That carries over to just about every pipe-factory picture I've ever seen from any era.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fabulous, Mike, thank you for the great photos.
The MM shop uses the original building, just expanded vertically and horizontally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great! I'm glad the MM factory isn't all gentrified. In the same way that I'm glad the Dr. Grabow (not pictured here) factory is kind of newer and "spruce" despite being in a smaller city/town.

Status
Not open for further replies.